Do you think the 3DS is reasonably priced?

Do you think the 3DS is reasonably priced?

• Total voters

Hollie Rose

Awards
Credits
I've heard several complaints from various people about the price of the 3DS. Some people seem blown away by the price, as if they expected it to be around the same cost as the previous DS systems. Being a better system, with better technology it makes sense to me that it is more expensive. Any thoughts?

What people aren't understanding is that the 3DS is a different system than the DS. I'm sure many people think of it as just another DS remake. I think it's under priced if anything. I mean, with all the new features, games, and backwards compatibility...it's well worth it.

What people aren't understanding is that the 3DS is a different system than the DS. I'm sure many people think of it as just another DS remake. I think it's under priced if anything. I mean, with all the new features, games, and backwards compatibility...it's well worth it.
QFT, although I'm not so sure about it being almost underpriced...

It has MUCH more features than a regular ol' Ds or DSI. In fact, it's a whole new world with this one. It has much more and therefore cost more. Though I would like to see the 3DS's price go down a bit, the price is still good for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I just wanted to see what other people thought. I guess some people have been misinformed about the 3DS. I had someone tell me they'd rather but a second wii than a 3DS because it was so expensive...

I find it funny how Americans were being like "OMG it's gonna cost 300 dollars", and then when they find out it's $249.99, you're still like "Waaaaaaaah it's too expensive".

Well, have I mentioned that when put in order of cheapest to most expensive, the US price is the cheapest? Since exchange rates are changing all the time, here are the launch prices when converted to US Dollars, at the time of posting this post:

US = $249.99
Japan = $303.33
UK = between $320.38 and $374.06 (i.e. £196.99 - £229.99)
Australia = $354.50

According to the current exchange rate, the US launch price, in British pounds, is only £3.72 more expensive than the British launch price of the DSi.
The DSi launched at £149.99, and the 3DS Launch price at this moment in time converts to just £153.71 -- and you say that's too expensive... those of you who are. Another thing many people complain about is the battery life, despite the fact it has the highest charge of any of the batteries in the DS systems?

Nintendo DS = 3,060 coulombs (850 milliampere-hours) -- 6 to 10 hours
Nintendo DS Lite = 3,600 coulombs (1000 milliampere-hours) -- 5 hours (absolute minimum on brightest settings) to 19 hours (absolute maximum on dimmest settings)
Nintendo DSi = 3.024 coulombs (840 milliampere-hours) -- 3 hours (minimum on brightest settings) - 14 hours (maximum on dimmest settings)
Nintendo DSi XL = 3,780 coulombs (1,050 milliampere-hours) -- 4 hours (minimum on brightest settings) - 17 hours (maximum on dimmest settings)
Nintendo 3DS = 4,680 coulombs (1,300 milliampere-hours) -- 3-5 hours .... note, that this may be a rough estimate of the battery life on the brightest settings, and 3D on full. Having the brightest on the lowest setting, with 3D turned off, and while playing a DS game will possibly make the battery last longer.

Oh yeah, another thing. The camera is 0.3 megapixels. Let me explain what pixels are. They are those little "elements" that make up the "pictures". Pixel is short for picture element. There is NO relationship with the number of megapixels and quality. I hate how people are like "omg 0.3 megapixels is crap". It's not crap, it's just small.
To be more precise, it's this small:

stewie-deathray-640x480.gif

The above picture is 640 x 480, the exact same as the number of image sensors on the 3DS (and DSi/XL) cameras, and therefore, this is the exact size of any pictures you can take.
Note that this picture may look quite sharp, but the DSi pictures look really grainy. Well, there's proof that megapixels is not a measure of quality but simply size.

To further prove my point here's a 1.9 megapixel camera (that is 6.25 times as many pixels) -- it might be big, but the quality sucks, right?
IMG_3247.jpg

It's the lens itself, not the number of image sensors in the lens that determines quality. Just remember that, for those who simply assume that a 5 megapixel camera is better than a 0.3 megapixel camera, using the megapixel count as the sole reasoning behind your assumption.

Oh and one last thing... opinion =/= fact. The launch games are NOT bad ... only in your opinion. SOME people might like Nintendogs + Cats, Ridge Racer, SSFIV3D, Steel Diver.... etc. Just because it doesn't have Super Mario, OOT 3D, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Mario Kart 3DS, Paper Mario 3DS, Starfox 64 3DS, eShop (and all that goes with it)....
dry.gif

its reasonable,i thought it was going to be $300

It's reasonably priced for me entirely because it has enough good games to justify the purchase. If it didn't have the three Mario Karts (Mario, Mario Kart, Paper Mario), Ocarina of Time 3D and quite a few others, I don't think it would be worth it.

The price is justifiable because it is essentially a portable Wii with many more features jammed into such a small device, which is no easy feat. To be honest, even $350 would be justifiable, even though I wish not to spend that much.

Just because it's a handheld doesn't instantly mean it should be cheap. It's the hardware inside that counts. It's pretty much a console anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured I'd get a more positive response on this site. I posted a thread on a different website about the 3DS thinking other people would be just excited as me, they weren't. It made me sad.

It's reasonably priced for me entirely because it has enough good games to justify the purchase. If it didn't have the three Mario Karts (Mario, Mario Kart, Paper Mario), Ocarina of Time 3D and quite a few others, I don't think it would be worth it.
if it didnt have the mario games i wouldnt get it until it did have mario games

Undeniably reasonable, dude! I would have thought that 300 bucks was reasonable, really.

I was expecting it to be around $300. Pretty much everything about the 3DS seems very promising to me.

Back