Do you use Custom Firmware like DD-WRT, and OPENWRT on your Router?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
No, I don't use custom firmware on my router. The router I use belongs to my ISP, so I'm not sure if they let me install custom firmware on their router.

I have an ASUS that I could I guess, but I'm not sure why you would need custom firmware?

I have an ASUS that I could I guess, but I'm not sure why you would need custom firmware?

I think that Custom firmware like DD-WRT is usually more secure than most router firmware's which become abandoned by the router makers after a few years, so firmware from router makers may have unfixed security problems, or the router firmware may use unsafe firmware from previous version of the firmware which they used on their older firmware.

Custom firmware also sometimes have more features, and better reliability than firmware made by a router maker because the custom firmware maker has staff which are more experienced at coding good firmware which can be difficult.

Custom Firmware may have better privacy as well because custom firmware is less likely to include spyware, bloatware, and adware which can spy on your browsing habits, and monitor your router usage. I think the US Government banned Chinese made routers from government buildings because they feared that the Chinese router has firmware/software which can be used to spy on the US's internet traffic.

I bet, most big governments, and companies probably use custom firmware on their router's to protect their network traffic, and browsing history.

I use DD-WRT on an old router to turn it into a wireless repeater in order to extend the range of my Wi-Fi. I find that it works very well.

I use DD-WRT on an old router to turn it into a wireless repeater in order to extend the range of my Wi-Fi. I find that it works very well.

That's pretty cool, and a good use of an old router.

Back