Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
An Xbox Live Gold subscription  is required to use Xbox One's DVR game-capture and video sharing functionality. Gold members will also have access to Skype and Smart Match multiplayer matchmaking, of course, as online play requires a Gold subscription.

Xbox Live Gold's one-year membership costs $60 in North America, and Xbox 360 users' existing Gold accounts will unlock access to Skype, DVR, Smart Match, and more when Xbox One releases this November. Currently, Xbox Gold members can get Crackdown for free on Xbox 360.
more here

Not surprised, but makes gold membership worth it.

I kind of had a funny feeling that something like this was going to happen with it being such a big feature it was bound to be gold members only however I do agree with you when you say that it does make it worth it, the more of these kind of features Xbox Live release the more worth it Xbox Live Gold becomes.

The free version of Crackdown sounds like a good deal, and Smart Match sounds useful for people with few friends who own an Xbox. But, I'm not very interested in the DVR, Skype, and other features which a PC can probably do better.

I think Pro gamers who record gaming video to upload on websites prefer using an external DVR/Gamecapture box connected to a PC and laptop because there are more features on external Game capture DVR boxes, and most laptops, and desktops have a lot of hard drive space for hours of videos these days. Plus, if your Xbox One gets stolen, or broken, you still have your game capture videos on your computer.

The video editors for Windows and MAC are also better, and easier to use when trimming, and adding titles, special effects,  narration and transitions because of a keyboard and mouse. Editing video with a controller does not seem very fast because a controller is less accurate than a keyboard and mouse.

Back