EBgames employees are awful

J-RAY

Top Fight Security!
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
I don't believe I've mentioned this before but ebgames employees really bother me.

I'm a serious gamer and I've been heavy into it since 1991 but I'm old. It's a little embarrassing being a 36yr old when I walk in ebgames.

I'm a chatty person and I talk to the employees about gaming and their response is "duhhh... games.... on videos?". Eb employees are RARELY into gaming and if they are usually its exclusive to some MMORPG.
Hell, the last 7 employees I talked to said they don't game. I got excited to see two females working so I started to do my "mac daddy" conversation skills and she said "HA, I have an orginal wii in my closet with two games."

And every time I feel like a bonehead for aging at my age.

The EB company are a bunch of doorknobs to actually operate that way.

Am I the only one who cares?

That's weird. I haven't had EBgames in a while, but we have GameStop, which from what I hear is a sub company of EBgames. When I go there though, there seems to be people who know about games. Even the one girl I saw worked there knew a lot about them. I'm not a chatty person, but they'll try to spark a conversation about games while I check out.

You'd think the first thing they ask is, "Do you play video games?" If not, they shouldn't be hired because they should have people who understand games a little bit.

That's weird. I haven't had EBgames in a while, but we have GameStop, which from what I hear is a sub company of EBgames.

Other way around I believe, since I do believe gamestop bought out EBgames.

My town had one once, a long time ago but they closed up sadly. Can't remember how well the staff was but if you need workers, you hire who you get.

I don't recall having an EBGames here in my city but we do have a GameStop. I don't frequent that store much but their employees have always been nice to me whenever I did go there.

I can see your point. You would think it would be wise to hire people that had at least some knowledge of video games. But I guess like DS said, they just hire the people that they can get.

I can't say I've ever had this problem. Most times I've been in EBgames/Gamestop the sales reps have been more than happy to talk games (provided they're not stupidly busy trying to help a lot of others out...)

This could just be a case of that one particular store you've been in. Like DS mentioned though sometimes people apply for jobs that they have no real interest in the subject matter of, they just need money. And there are times when companies kinda can't afford to be picky... especially in customer service positions because the turnover rate on them can be high. (Ask anyone who's done customer service for a while what it's like... it's not overly fun.)

I haven't bought anything from EBgames for many years since Amazon is more convenient, and have better prices sometimes.

I just go in there to buy games, and leave afterwards since I know what I want to buy, and already look up information on the games before buying.

The employees at Ebgames were not very social, and just accepted my payment, and I left.

Retail jobs are not always good places to work, so I think some people just work there because they can't find a better job, or they gave up trying to find a better job which they enjoy more. Some retail employees may feel like their stuck in a job which they dislike, and won't leave until they get fired, lay off, or they leave after they graduated college or high school, and use their diploma to help them look for a better job. Retail workers are not always the most friendliest workers in my experience, and some of them don't seem to care much about their job, customers, or store they work for, and mainly want to go home after work.

Retail workers are not always the most friendliest workers in my experience, and some of them don't seem to care much about their job, customers, or store they work for, and mainly want to go home after work.

Yeah, there's probably a good reason for that...

I've seen some of how they get treated.
Imagine showing up for work, dreading the day because you know it's busy... people's tempers are running high and their patience is low. And you know that you're going to get yelled at for something that's not your fault, has nothing to do with you and is completely out of your control. (Basically because you wear the uniform of the company the angry person is going to vent their frustrations with the company at you.) Plus it's going to happen multiple times. Would you be overly friendly after that? Would you want to stick around for that?

Plus if anything ever happens to go wrong you automatically get the blame (from both the company and customer sides).

That and they're often not paid enough to deal with the stress of dealing with the public.

So in short... making terrible money, getting verbally abused frequently enough and the company would rather replace you than defend you. Yeah, I can't blame retail workers for not being super happy.

Yeah, there's probably a good reason for that...

I've seen some of how they get treated.
Imagine showing up for work, dreading the day because you know it's busy... people's tempers are running high and their patience is low. And you know that you're going to get yelled at for something that's not your fault, has nothing to do with you and is completely out of your control. (Basically because you wear the uniform of the company the angry person is going to vent their frustrations with the company at you.) Plus it's going to happen multiple times. Would you be overly friendly after that? Would you want to stick around for that?

Plus if anything ever happens to go wrong you automatically get the blame (from both the company and customer sides).

That and they're often not paid enough to deal with the stress of dealing with the public.

So in short... making terrible money, getting verbally abused frequently enough and the company would rather replace you than defend you. Yeah, I can't blame retail workers for not being super happy.

Some retail stores like Dollar Stores, and Discount stores seem to be the worse types of retail stores. I saw the cashier got beaten up by a shoplifter when the cashier told him not to return the stuff he stole from the store. I think workers at some stores need to do multiple jobs at once now where they are the cashier, security, cleaning, merchandiser, and do simple repairs like changing lightbulbs, and fixing shelves. But, they still make minimum wage or close to minimum wage. In some cases, they maybe working for less than minimum wage if they work many hours of unpaid overtime.

Plus it doesn't help the retail workers when the old crazy people come in. I have two people memorized at my store that if I see them, I'm running into the safety of the employee only back area.

Crazy people can be a safety problem when working, and buying stuff from a store. There are some places with more drug addicts, alcoholics, and crazy people who hit and bother people when inside a store.

I think one of the reasons more people prefer online shopping because there is no chance of running into a crazy person, drug addict, and alcoholic who can not control themselves and start hitting people when they take too many drugs, and they have anger problems.

Back