Efforts to free Utah miners continue

Spiritwarrior

Lurking
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
QUOTE Efforts to free six coal miners trapped when a Utah mine collapsed nine days ago plodded forward Wednesday, with mine officials hoping to break through a third bore hole that might finally yield some evidence of the men.

Drilling started on the 1,415-foot-deep hole late Monday, and is about 1,300 feet west of a second hole drilled late last week. Ghostly video images from that cavern showed piles of rubble, including fallen coal and abandoned equipment.

Read more here

I hope they continue to get the miners out of there as soon as possible.

so do I

One of the rescuers got injured the other day (I saw it in the paper one night at work). I haven't heard of anyone actually being rescued yet though. I hope they all make it out ok though.

They have stopped trying now. 5 resucers have died and several more were seriously injured. They still haven't been able to figure out where the miners are even at, so they've called off the rescue efforts. They said that the mine is too unstable and they can't dig a hole big enough for what they need.

Yeah. I understand why they did it. It's just sad. I hope at some point they do try to atleast get the bodies out so that they can have a proper resting place.

QUOTE (Demon_Skeith @ August 22, 2007 05:15 pm) it's too bad they called it off but that entire mine could cave in
That may be, but what really happened to them still remains a mystery. That's why they still need time to find out.

Right now they're drilling another hole to see if they are still trapped, or otherwise.

LinkThey are drilling a seventh hole now and have a camera that they are hoping will be able to find the miners. It's similar to the camera that was used to search through wreckage from the WTC after Sept. 11th.

Seen that on the news, I know that it's their job to figure out what really happened to those guys down there.

Back