EXCLUSIVE: Xbox CVP Kareem Choudhry is leaving Microsoft, and Xbox growth plans accelerate

cpvr

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Kareem "it eats monsters for breakfast" Choudhry was one of Xbox's biggest innovators.

• Xbox CVP Kareem Choudhry is leaving Microsoft as of today.
  • Choudhry worked on some of Microsoft's most cutting-edge gaming tech, from Xbox Cloud Gaming to its recent AI efforts.
  • Choudhry's exit precedes a wider Xbox leadership re-org, with some team members promoted, and new staff incoming.
  • The wider leadership shake-up is designed to streamline processes and help Microsoft accelerate plans for growth for Xbox Game Pass, Xbox hardware, and beyond.
  • Windows Central understands that Kareem's exit was amicable and coincidental, and not part of the wider re-org.

Microsoft's gaming org has grown to be one of the biggest contributors to Microsoft's overall revenue pie, with Xbox now outstripping Windows itself as one of the biggest drivers of income. That's in no small part thanks to the acquisition of Activision-Blizzard, which counts Candy Crush Saga, World of Warcraft, and Call of Duty among various billion-dollar verticals for the gaming org.

To that end, Microsoft has been rapidly evolving how it thinks of gaming today, and for Xbox's future. That also means some leadership changes.

After 26 years of Microsoft tenure, our sources indicate that Kareem Choudhry is exiting the company. Choudhry might be known best to Xbox fans for the quote "it eats monsters for breakfast," in reference to the Xbox series X, and "it's a monster" in reference to the Xbox One X. Indeed, Kareem was responsible for working on some of Microsoft's most cutting-edge projects, including developing the Xbox backwards compatibility layer, Xbox cloud Gaming and Microsoft's new gaming AI division, known internally as XEmTech or Xbox's Emerging Tech team. Today is Choudhry's last day at Microsoft, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Source: EXCLUSIVE: Xbox CVP Kareem Choudhry is leaving Microsoft, and Xbox growth plans accelerate

Time to shake things up it seems.

Change can be good sometimes, a fresh set of ideas never hurts. Myself personally I would like to see Microsoft dominate Sony, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Back