froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
The iPhone is so popular among Facebook employees that Facebook chief product officer Chris Cox is effectively forcing some employees to switch over to Android, Cade Metz of Wired reports. The impetus behind the decree is that the social networking giant doesn’t want its popular software to only be seen and used through the prism of a high-end iPhone.

“I am mandating a switch of a whole bunch of my team over to Android, just because people, when left up to their own devices, will often prefer an iPhone,” Cox told reporters late last week. The goal for Facebook developers, Cox added, is “that they can be reporting bugs and living in the same experience that most Facebook users experience today.”

Source

I think this is a good switch for Facebook since there are probably more people who use Google Android than iOS, and the Google Android Facebook and Messenger App is kind of bloated. Hopefully, this means the Facebook app will use less storage space, and becomes faster on older and slower Android devices.

It's a decent idea, though I think a device testing lab seems less excessive. Or something like Browserstack.

Are we talking about their work phones or their personal usage phones?

I think it is their personal smartphone because Facebook chief product officer Chris Cox said “I am mandating a switch of a whole bunch of my team over to Android, just because people, when left up to their own devices, will often prefer an iPhone”.

I don't think any company has any right to tell you what phone to use for your personal use.

People can always buy a second personal phone.

I bet, Facebook is probably paying staff to switch to Android, and paid for their personal Android phone. Facebook maybe breaking employment laws if they are not paying staff to use Facebook Android Apps, and Android phone if Facebook told them to use an Android phone at work. If Facebook is paying staff for using a Google Android Phone and the Facebook App, I think it would be fair since the staff are getting paid money, so they are responsible for doing their work which they are paid to do.

I would hate to have to juggle so many phones though and carrying both.

I think, if I got the smartphone for free, and got to choose the most powerful smartphone with a lot of storage space, I would not mind having two phones. My jacket also have a few pockets with zippers, so it is not a big deal carrying two phones in my jacket,

Well, it's not fair but then again, no one is complaining so...I don't know what to say.

Back