Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
The FBI now is raiding homes looking for World of Warcraft gold farmers. The party van showed up March 30 at an apartment shared by two University of Michigan students (building pictured), who say the feds have got the wrong suspects.

The two students, neither named, say they aren't gold farmers and don't play World of Warcraft. "They thought we were involved in some kind of fraud," said one. "I'm pretty sure they have the wrong people, but they took all my stuff."

Why is the FBI interested in gold farming? Computer World posits they may be looking for terrorist connections, either with gold farming as an enterprise funding them, or believing that the virtual worlds of these MMOs is where they plan out their operations.

Paperwork says investigators think someone at the address was in on "a scheme to set up fraudulent bank accounts to buy and/or sell 'virtual currency' or 'gold' to be used in the game." They were looking for online transaction records associated with World of Warcraft, the Chinese gold-farming website gameusd.com, eBay, PayPal and the United Services Automobile Association.

At least they didn't shoot anybody.

source

wow, fail.

I don't get why the United Services Automobile Association can be involve in WoW.

This seems quite ridiculous, I thought gold farming was just against the TOS and Blizzard could suspend your account. I never would have thought it would be against the law let alone a matter the FBI would get involved in. It also seems preposterous that gold farmers have any connection to terrorism, I would have thought alleged terrorists would resort to more private methods of communication as WoW servers are quite public.

This seems quite ridiculous, I thought gold farming was just against the TOS and Blizzard could suspend your account. I never would have thought it would be against the law let alone a matter the FBI would get involved in. It also seems preposterous that gold farmers have any connection to terrorism, I would have thought alleged terrorists would resort to more private methods of communication as WoW servers are quite public.

I know that billions of dollars are made/spent through game currencies, but what does it all have to do with terrorism?
Paranoia is making the US government crazier and crazier.

Not to mention, the amount of money they are or will spend on these foolish operations instead of actually making their economy strong again.

you guys forget the MOUNTAIN of data we found in the bin laden compound,

in that amount of data they could have found references to plots or ideas using video games to transfer currency,

its not about the money made in the game, its about the movement of $$

its a great way to sneak terrorist $$ into our beautiful nation,

'nuff said

Not to mention, the amount of money they are or will spend on these foolish operations instead of actually making their economy strong again.

once again, this is just what we see, imagine how many other homegrown terrorists get busted and we NEVER hear about them,

we hear about the few innocents that are busted,

remember its still a way to transfer $$ into our country that is not monitored

go FBI!

Isn't it awesome living in a world of paranoia and totalitarian authority? I bet they had guns and full kevlar when they went in to, just in case the WOW players had thier +10 strength weapons on them.

Isn't it awesome living in a world of paranoia and totalitarian authority? I bet they had guns and full kevlar when they went in to, just in case the WOW players had thier +10 strength weapons on them.

your post doesnt make sense. maybe for other things, but not for what this post is about. the REASON the fbi busted him was because they KNEW he was part of a home invasion crew,

they staked out his house, what does that tell you?

You say FBI, I say CIA. Killing one guy a minute at a time... Not something to support, but they look for the benefit of America (or to keep themselves at top really). Either way, I agree with counter terrorism acts. No matter what conspiracists say (like that Osama works for the US), they have to agree that getting rid of them is better for the greater good. This was a good act of getting rid of them. Maybe it seems stupid, but it keeps people safer. And yes we spend money on silyl operations, but do you think we are really $14 trillion in debt? It seems extraordinarily unlikely.

honestly what bothers me most about this story, is the fact that you have a guy in disguise as a MARINE but he has very skilled training and is basically a criminal..
... problem is, he can bring back that training/knowledge to a bunch of thugs on the outside and spread it around..

i think we can all agree that home-invaders would be much better at invading homes if they had military training?
Well think about it: 1 goes through the system and spreads that to 20 others that didn't (couldn't)

my 2 cents

well it says in the story that a bunch of em were doing it, and that this marine dude seemed to be helping with most of it,

so wouldnt it be possible that they got a bunch of "untrained" thugs, gave em MARINE training except to invade homes, tie people up, etc.

my point is that 1 guy can spread valuable knowledge to criminals,
but this probably happens more then we even know

:confused:

That's true, but you got to know who to trust. I know that the CIA uses lie detector tests when they hire people, and I hope I pass with flying colors because I really want to work there...

Lie detectors are hardly reliable pieces of equipment. Hence the reason that they aren't used as evidence in court cases (last I heard anyway, dunno if that's changed or not)

Lie detectors are hardly reliable pieces of equipment. Hence the reason that they aren't used as evidence in court cases (last I heard anyway, dunno if that's changed or not)

this is correct, they are not admissible in court

EDIT: and by the way, ALL law enforcement jobs require lie detector but i dont think any of the army/marine/navy stuff does

CIA and government in general has far superior technology than the general public, and that's a well known fact actually. They have too, or else everything would be unreliable. They use a much more advanced form of lie detectors probably.

Who knows, they may find out if you are trying through neuron activity in the brain, or some chemical means which may be more reliable.
Heartbeat rate is hardly a measure of whether you are lying.

That's odd.... wow. You can get arrested for farming in WoW? What kind of government takes legal action against that? Good thing I don't play WoW. :)

Back