froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
The FCC is aiming to create a free super WiFi network, putting the agency at odds with wireless companies and market advocates.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/04/fcc-wants-free-wifi-for-all/#ixzz2Ts49MiFe

Cool, soon there would be no more need to go to Mc. Donalds, Starbucks, or other places to use their free Wifi inexchange for buying food or drinks.

I wonder if this free Wi-fi by the FCC would be good enough for gaming, Netflix, and YouTube at home.

I think the FCC is the Federal Communication commision, and it is US only. But, I bet if you live by the US border in Canada, or close to the US, you maybe able to pick up the free US Wi-Fi signal.

I bet the CRTC which is the Canadian Radio-television Telecommunications Commission will follow the US's FCC in providing free Wi-Fi.

Maybe the internet in the future would be free like sidewalks, roads, and parks where anyone even people who don't pay any taxes like people who are on welfare, or don't make enough or no money to be taxed, and the homeless can use sidewalks, roads, and the internet, and the internet will be maintained by volunteers, donations, colleges, companies like Google, Apple, and Amazon, and sales taxes from online purchases from eBay, Amazon, and online stores.

I say long live the FCC!

Demon_Skeith said:
I say long live the FCC!
The FCC is trying to end free speech online (in addition to their other efforts like this), so I would prefer to shout this:

"GO DIE IN HELL, FCC!"

:p

But i feel free wifi will be the root cause of major hacking and data loss :(

If you use a VPN/Virtual Private Network connection to protect yourself while on the internet using free Wi-Fi, other people's internet, your data and connection would be safer. Wired intenet also can be hacked, and snooped on, so using a VPN can make using the internet safer,

Proxy and Tor Servers can protect your privacy since you use a different I.P. than your ISP's I.P. to go online.

There is now two step verification where you get sent a small number via text message on your cell phone to enter into a textbox before you can log into Twitter, Gmail, Linked-In, and other accounts which has Two step verification

Demon_Skeith said:
pshh, the internet is a whole new world. FCC can't do anything but affect how we get on it.
Although they're tracking everything we say, now, with the world's largest tracking facility ever constructed, with a dedicated city, devoted to tracking our every word.

This would be interesting; I haven't seen any good counter-arguments for it aside from the possibility of imposed regulations by the Fed. We could see a rise in telecommuting with this, which is something I have a lot of interest in.

Ah sweet! Maybe I can get better speed than my 1.5mbps DSL connection lol. In all seriousness country-wide free wifi is an exelent idea, it would save a lot of people some money on their internet bills.

BeeRando said:
Ah sweet! Maybe I can get better speed than my 1.5mbps DSL connection lol. In all seriousness country-wide free wifi is an exelent idea, it would save a lot of people some money on their internet bills.
Aside from the fact that the government is bankrupt and can't afford to save you money on your internet.

Nuke said:
Aside from the fact that the government is bankrupt and can't afford to save you money on your internet.
This is true...plus we live in a capitalist based society where corporations have control over lawmakers. I doubt it will happen any time soon, under the government at least. There are rumors of teams of hackers who want to send up a satellite of their own to give free, uncensored internet to everyone...but if they were somehow successful building and launching the satellite, chances are one of the governments will shoot it down and arrest the people involved in its creation.

Is it bad my first question was "what'll be the catch?"

The FCC can be kind of ridiculous at times with censorship policies.  I wonder how that would translate over.  Would they block certain sites?  I mean, it's not like there wouldn't be ways around it, but it's the principles of the matter.

Back