Final Fantasy X Review

Lleyn

Beep
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Been a while since I wrote a review, and with the recent announcement of Final Fantasy XV, I figured I should try a Final Fantasy one :p

Being the first Final Fantasy on PlayStation 2, FFX changed the saga by transforming some of its most essential aspects. The most striking aspect was the transition to full 3D. Similarly, the traditional world map disappears in favor of a realistic path in full size settings. Another notable change was in the battle system, where the ATB (Active Time Battle) is replaced by a much more strategic turn by turn mechanism, imagined by the creator of the Front Mission series. Regarding the audio portion of the title, two significant changes are to report. First of all, for the first time in the series, the main characters had voices, with almost all the cutscenes being dubbed. Secondly, Nobuo Uematsu was not the only one in charge of music but was joined by Masashi Hamauzu and Junya Nakano, two other talented composers of the sound team of Square Enix.

However, the biggest change was the fact that Final Fantasy X ignored the usual levelling system in favor of a new and unique evolution system. Each playable character evolves on a grid (a "Sphere") and the played has to activate certain "spheres" to unlock skills or stats increases, depending on the types of spheres used. 

Along with the main quest, many sub-quests are available but are often regarded as a negative point of the game due to the fact that they are quite daunting and may require several hours to complete thanks to the linear aspect of the game. Concerning mini-games, where FFVIII and IX offered a card game, FFX offers the player the opportunity to play blitzball, a sport with a great importance in the game's setting. Basically an aquatic handball sport, the game is complex and requires a lot of strategy, both in the selection of team members and during matches. Players can participate in simple matches, but also tournaments where they can win items.

Most would agree that the setting of the world of Final Fantasy X was its best point by far. Indeed, no other episode had been as deep and studied. The game is based on a very strong historical and cultural context giving credibility to adventure. The characters, especially Tidus, Yuna, and Auron were also well developed and perfect in the context of the story. 

In conclusion, although Final Fantasy X was too linear, its deep script, full of emotions and meaningful scenes, made up for it. The different changes it introduced also brought a breath of fresh air to a series that grew to being too predictable.

I thought Nobuo Uematsu didn't work for SE after FF IX?

And why are you putting linear as a con? Unless a game has different endings it is linear.

By linear I meant that it was hard to travel back to previously visited towns (except if you don't mind running for hours).

As for Nobuo, he only left SE in 2004, and worked on FFXI (2002) as well as FFTA (2003) before leaving.

Ahh, I see. Yeah it was a pain traveling back till you got the airship, which sadly wasn't open world.

And I thought he quit after FF IX, must be thinking of someone else.

Anyways I enjoyed FF X and I played it to the point I got sick of the game. I hope the HD version is the international copy.

• The Zodiac Job System – There are now 12 License Boards, each one representing a job. Once a character chooses a job however, they are stuck with it throughout the entire game. Isolated licenses can be accessed by unlocking Espers and Quickenings.
  • Trial Mode – The party must fight through 100 stages, each one containing stronger monsters. Completing this mode unlocks New Game+: Weak Mode.
  • Controllable Guests – Guest characters can now be controlled, and their gambits can be edited. Their equipment cannot be removed.
  • Controllable Espers – Espers can now be controlled once summoned, and their gambits can be edited. The player can use their ultimate attack at will.
  • Speed Boost – Pressing the L1 button speeds up the game, making getting around easier. The music and cutscenes still play at normal speed.
  • Gambit Changes – There are 16 new gambits. All the gambits can be bought upon leaving Barheim Passage.
  • Item Changes – New items have been added, and some of their effects have been slightly changed.
  • Enemy Changes – Enemies have been changed slightly, plus new enemies have been added. A battle against all five Judge Magisters is also included.
  • Magick Changes – Water and Watera are renamed to Aqua and Aquara. Many spells have been re-categorized; Bravery and Faith are now White Magick for example. Cure and all tier 1 Black Magick elemental spells have an area of effect (same as their higher tier counterpart) instead of targeting only 1 unit. Not all magick can be bought, and some must be found in treasure chests.
  • Equipment Changes – New weapons have been added, like the Excalipoor, while others have been slightly changed. Armor and accessories have also been slightly changed. Some weapons have different elemental alignments.
  • Shop Listings – Some shops have had their inventory changed.
  • Hunt Reward Changes - Rewards for defeating Marks have slightly changed.
  • Mist Knack (Quickening) Changes – Mist knacks no longer take up MP. Instead, they have their own Mist gauge.
  • MP Changes – Since Mist Knacks do not use MP now, obtaining Mist Knacks does not increase MP. Instead, characters simply get more MP as they level up. Max MP is determined by the character's job.
  • New Game+ – Two New Game+ modes are available. Strong Mode, where all characters begin at level 90, and Weak Mode, where all characters begin at level 1 and never level up. Nothing carries over into these new save files.
  • Treasure Re-spawns – Treasures pots now respawn by just moving one screen away.
  • Treasure Item Changes - Some items inside coffers have been switched around, added, or removed.
  • Break Damage Limit – There is no damage limit anymore. If a character does more than 9,999 damage, the game will show it. Against weak enemies, it is possible to achieve over 100,000 HP of damage with a single attack. This gives the strongest magick spells greater potency to rival melee attack with high hit combo.

More complaining about a Final Fantasy being linear. >_> When have they not been linear. "They had open worlds!" Sure, they did, but barely anything to do in them other than go from point A to B. And most games are linear anyway, so I always found that if a reviewer mentions it in a game that isn't actually open-world, like Assassin's Creed or GTA, that it's a pointless negative.

And DS, nothing impressive? Have you seen the Dark Aeon battles?

• Al Bhed letters I missed.
  • Blitzball players I want.
  • Shops exclusives.
  • Enemy drops.
  • Simply going back and see if I didn't miss anything epic.

That's enough reason for me to complain about the game being too linear.

Yes FF games have always been linear, but FFX was the first to be linear to the point where it got annoying.

That didn't bother you much and that's a good thing for you. But to me, and to a lot of people, it was painfully linear.

Memento Mori said:
I wanted it for the The Zodiac Job System. It sucked how all my characters ended up with the same builds.

Plus, you can't say you never wanted to control your esper :p
That's why people want final fantasy type-0.

GracefulAssassin said:
More complaining about a Final Fantasy being linear. >_> When have they not been linear. "They had open worlds!" Sure, they did, but barely anything to do in them other than go from point A to B. And most games are linear anyway, so I always found that if a reviewer mentions it in a game that isn't actually open-world, like Assassin's Creed or GTA, that it's a pointless negative.

And DS, nothing impressive? Have you seen the Dark Aeon battles?
Just a few on youtube. They look crazy insane.

Back