Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Mozilla officially released Firefox 3.5 on Tuesday. The new version of the popular open source web browser has attracted considerable attention and is already seeing rapid adoption. It was downloaded over 5 million times during the first 24 hours. This falls short of the record-setting 8 million downloads that Firefox 3 had during its first day, but it still reflects the intense enthusiasm of the browser's fans.

Firefox's popularity has rapidly climbed over the past few years, bringing it up to between 20-30 percent of the global browser market, according to various Web analytics firms. Based on data collected from 850,000 web sites, tracking firm whos.amung.us says that Firefox 3.5 by itself now accounts for roughly 2.5 percent of the browser market, more than the total marketshare of rival Opera.

When Mozilla released Firefox 3 last year, the company planned an elaborate Download Day event, encouraging supporters to obtain the software on the day of the release. They aimed to set a new Guinness Record for the most user-initiated downloads of a software program in one day. The event was highly successful and resulted in 8 million downloads at launch, with the first million in only four hours.

The community's grass-roots marketing efforts for the Firefox 3.5 launch were not as intensive or widely publicized, but still had a significant impact. Mozilla planned a social network campaign called the Shiretoko Shock, which instructed participants to promote the release on social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook at 3:50 PM in their respective timezones. The idea was that the "shockwave" would ripple out from the core community of volunteer Firefox evangelists and spread virally as others retweeted and echoed the initial posts. This campaign and general widespread interest in the release propelled Firefox onto Twitter's trending topics list.

The collective number of total Firefox downloads exceeded 500 million last year and is currently estimated at roughly 950 million. It could exceed one billion by the end of August.

source

anybody's firefox 3.5 crashing a lot or getting a message saying due to low memory it stopped some things?

Wow FF3.5 is a big hit aswell.

I really think its not long before Microsoft gives in for once and quits making IE.

I mean really opera and firefox are both better in way to many ways...

Then we have google chrome and safari... For the speed web browsers...

IE doesn't bring anything new to the table :/.

QUOTE Anybody's Firefox 3.5 crashing a lot or getting a message saying due to low memory it stopped some things?

No. Mine works perfectly and I'm glad to be one of that 5 million

Some of the plugins and extensions I use for firefox 3.5 won't work. I went back to FireFox 3.0.11

QUOTE (froggyboy604 @ July 03, 2009 11:40 am) Some of the plugins and extensions I use for firefox 3.5 won't work. I went back to FireFox 3.0.11
I had to go back to 3.0.11 as well. my firefox was giving me a lot of trouble. It was stupid of me to download a new version without letting people test it and say what the bugs there getting with this new firefox.

QUOTE (Demon_Skeith @ July 03, 2009 12:12 pm) QUOTE (froggyboy604 @ July 03, 2009 11:40 am) Some of the plugins and extensions I use for firefox 3.5 won't work. I went back to FireFox 3.0.11
I had to go back to 3.0.11 as well. my firefox was giving me a lot of trouble. It was stupid of me to download a new version without letting people test it and say what the bugs there getting with this new firefox.
What bugs did you get? My only problem is that Youtube won't load as fast as before.

QUOTE (GracefulAssasin @ July 03, 2009 12:26 pm) QUOTE (Demon_Skeith @ July 03, 2009 12:12 pm) QUOTE (froggyboy604 @ July 03, 2009 11:40 am) Some of the plugins and extensions I use for firefox 3.5 won't work. I went back to FireFox 3.0.11
What bugs did you get? My only problem is that Youtube won't load as fast as before.
it kept crashing a lot, and after two days of use I got a pop saying due to not enough memory it had to shut down some scripts which means a lot pics on some sites didn't come up and the buttons on the upper left side of FF disappeared.

QUOTE (Demon_Skeith @ July 03, 2009 12:50 pm) QUOTE (GracefulAssasin @ July 03, 2009 12:26 pm) QUOTE (Demon_Skeith @ July 03, 2009 12:12 pm) QUOTE (froggyboy604 @ July 03, 2009 11:40 am) Some of the plugins and extensions I use for firefox 3.5 won't work. I went back to FireFox 3.0.11
it kept crashing a lot, and after two days of use I got a pop saying due to not enough memory it had to shut down some scripts which means a lot pics on some sites didn't come up and the buttons on the upper left side of FF disappeared.
That's weird. For some reason the more I use mine, the slower it goes...

QUOTE (GracefulAssasin @ July 03, 2009 01:26 pm) QUOTE (Demon_Skeith @ July 03, 2009 12:50 pm) QUOTE (GracefulAssasin @ July 03, 2009 12:26 pm) QUOTE (Demon_Skeith @ July 03, 2009 12:12 pm) QUOTE (froggyboy604 @ July 03, 2009 11:40 am) Some of the plugins and extensions I use for firefox 3.5 won't work. I went back to FireFox 3.0.11
then you will get the same problems as I do.

I suggest you return to firefox 3.0.11 right away. which you can get here

QUOTE (Demon_Skeith @ July 03, 2009 02:16 pm) QUOTE (GracefulAssasin @ July 03, 2009 01:26 pm) QUOTE (Demon_Skeith @ July 03, 2009 12:50 pm) QUOTE (GracefulAssasin @ July 03, 2009 12:26 pm) QUOTE (Demon_Skeith @ July 03, 2009 12:12 pm) QUOTE (froggyboy604 @ July 03, 2009 11:40 am) Some of the plugins and extensions I use for firefox 3.5 won't work. I went back to FireFox 3.0.11
then you will get the same problems as I do.

I suggest you return to firefox 3.0.11 right away. which you can get here
I got it back. MUCH better... they gotta fix 3.5.

I honestly don't see microsoft stop making IE any time soon, IE8 is actually the best IE they have ever made. It is more secure and they have looked for more strict HTML loading.

Back