froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Are we entering a new era of malware hell? The whole WannaCry ransomware fracas could be just the beginning of things, if Shadow Brokers – the group of hackers which has previously leaked NSA tools and exploits, including the vulnerability used in WannaCry – has anything to do with it.

According to a Reuters report, Shadow Brokers has published a statement online claiming that from next month, it will be releasing details on a whole raft of fresh exploits that will include tools to help nefarious types crack into Windows 10 systems, web browsers, routers and phones.

Read More

I think computer, and smartphone users always need to be careful to protect their computer, and be aware that at any time their PC, router, web browser, phone, and internet connected devices would get hacked, infected, and there is a real chance of their data being held for ransom, stolen, or deleted.

Now would be a good time to use external storage drives, SD Memory Cards, DVD-R and Blu-Ray-R disc, and print out important documents and photos to backup your PC and smartphone files to as many external storage devices as possible.

Good thing I have several software on my machine to keep it safe, if it can even help.

Good thing I have several software on my machine to keep it safe, if it can even help.

I also have several types of security software to protect Windows. Hopefully, it is enough to keep Windows safe.

At least, Shadow Broker who is the group releasing the vulnerabilities are warning people, and releasing details, so users have time to install several security software like an Antivirus, antispyware, firewall, and new Windows updates to prevent malware infections.

I don't know if i feel safe using Avast antivirus i'm really scared that hackers might barge in to my PC. :(

There was a Serious Security flaw discovered in Avast's security-focused SafeZone web browser in 2016 which allowed a malicious website to read cookies, stored passwords and local files according to Pcworld . The security flaw is fixed now according to the article on PCworld, but I'm not sure how safe or good Avast is in 2017.

People on other websites like Reddit recommend BitDefender which also has a basic free version for home users at Free BiteDefender Antivirus Software - Download Bitdefender Antivirus Free , but you need to pay to use more advance features like the Ransomware protection.

It is best to also backup all your files to an external hard drive, SD memory cards, and DVD-R or Blu-Ray-R disc, and print out important documents and photos.

It is important to regularly make sure Windows, your security software like antivirus, antimalware, and firewall, regular software like web browsers, and office suite, and games are using the latest versions of the software, and have updates/patches installed on them which sometimes fix old security vulnerabilities in older versions of the same software.

Being careful like not opening e-mail attachments in spam and unknown senders, and not clicking on links, and avoiding websites which you don't trust. But, not clicking on links and avoiding websites can be harder to do because any website can host malware if the site got hacked, the web master decides to be a criminal and host malware or the site got sold to a criminal who used the site to infect many computers as possible before the site is shutdown by the police.

Last edited:
Back