Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Games buyers visiting GameStop stores in California will soon see signs warning them of the likelihood of additional publisher fees for downloadable content for used games.

Today, a class settlement was reached forcing the retailer to post signs in its California stores for the next two years. GameStop is also required to reimburse certain consumers who paid for used games without realizing there would be extra fees for online play.

The lawsuit was instigated in March 2010, soon after a gamer, James Collins, bought a used copy of Dragon Age: Origins from a GameStop store in Hayward, California. Collins paid $55 for the game, $5 less than a brand new copy, only to realize he had to pay more to access online features which would have come as standard with a new game.

Mark Pifko, Baron and Budd attorney and counsel in the lawsuit said, "We are pleased that as a result of this lawsuit, we were able to obtain complete restitution for consumers, with actual money paid out to people who were harmed by GameStop's conduct."

He added, "The in-store and online warnings are an important benefit under the settlement as well, because if GameStop discloses the truth to consumers, it is unlikely that they will be able to continue selling used copies of certain games for only $5 less than the price of a new copy. In fact, we already know that not long after the lawsuit was filed, GameStop lowered prices for used copies of many of the game titles identified in the lawsuit."

source

Victory for the gamers!

Yeah, they really should say if a used copy lacks full functionality of the game.

What? Why would you want to pay $55 for a used game that lacks the online pass then pay $60 for all features?

True but people should've known this in advance.. I mean it does say it on the game box.
I know that, that is what I said earlier. Sanaki said that people don't have the right to download at their free will, which I didn't understand since I would rather pay $60 for a new game then $55 for a used game, plus $10 for all the features.

True but people should've known this in advance.. I mean it does say it on the game box.
My friend let me direct you to this game here called Warhammer 40K Space Marine. You HAVE to buy it new or use your credit card/points card to get past Level 5 (Which I achieved in about 15 matches of online.). Level 5 out of 41. It's a fun game, but now I'm limited.

Though do all games disclose the limitations on them? If I recall right, some might say online pass required while others might say online component, yet others still not say anything. So how are consumers to know which ones will need an additional cost? (Remember, not all consumers are gamers. Parents, Grandparents, Sisters, Brothers, etc... who don't know the difference because they're not following the news of who implemented online pass and who didn't.)

Personally, I refuse to support this stupid online pass system. To all companies using it, I maintain you should find another way to get your money rather than locking out parts of used games until they pay the fee. Create additional DLC that's only available to new customers... Like a bonus level, armor/skin or weapon.
I don't think we as gamers should have to tolerate this sort of blatant thievery. And to anyone who states "just buy the pass, it's not a big deal"... Yes, it is a big deal (it's like a car salesman selling you a car but not the roof, passenger/rear seats, trunk and rear bumper, then demands extra for them.) and you really shouldn't be ok with this sort of crap either.

I like DLC. Gives me more to do when I get bored of a game, because if they make DLC every month, it gives me a reason to keep the game. Online passes are just so they don't lose sales, which is understandable in this crappy economy, especially THQ because they are failing, and I usually buy new anyway, unless it is a oldish game, but disc locked content I don't 100% understand.

First day DLC is annoying, but I like what Bethesda does with DLC. They basically add expansions, for like $10-15, about 5 months after the game's release date, and adds SO much more to do.

My friend let me direct you to this game here called Warhammer 40K Space Marine. You HAVE to buy it new or use your credit card/points card to get past Level 5 (Which I achieved in about 15 matches of online.). Level 5 out of 41. It's a fun game, but now I'm limited.

Lol never knew Space Marine had such policy implemented... o_O How much do you have to spend?

Online passes are always $10 if you didn't buy a new copy, and that is why buying a new copy is just easier and cheaper.

Back