froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Steam on Chrome OS could soon become a reality

Google’s ambitions for gaming-focused Chromebooks might be close to reality. After years of teasing Steam for Chrome OS and even Nvidia demoing support for DLSS and ray tracing on Arm-based Chromebooks, references to new gaming Chromebooks have now been spotted in test versions of Chrome OS.

Google revealed two years ago that it was working on Steam support for Chromebooks, but we’ve heard very little ever since.

I hope Chrome OS Gaming laptops are affordable for most people to buy, and it can run many Steam games well at a decent frame rate and video quality settings.

I think the main advantages about Chrome OS for gaming is that Chrome OS does not use a lot of storage space on a SSD storage drive.,so there is many more GBs of free SSD storage space for games, apps, programs, media files, and documents.

Chrome OS also does not come with 3rd-party bundled software like a System Utilities, Security software like antivirus and VPN apps, Media player or video editor which can use up many hundred of MBs to a few GBs of storage space which can be better used for storing games and video captures of gameplay footage which can use many GBs of space.

Last edited:
I'm all for the availability of Steam, especially on a generally safe-from-issues computer. The thing is it feels like redundancy to have a gaming computer and console, and potentially a work computer at the same time. It can already run things through emulators so I have confidence anything is possible for the system depending on its specs.

I am simply anticipating for Google Chromebook on steam to come Live, it will be something amazing for gamers to see new changes around steam with Google revolutionizing on video games.

I am simply anticipating for Google Chromebook on steam to come Live, it will be something amazing for gamers to see new changes around steam with Google revolutionizing on video games.
Is Stadia any good though? I feel like they are just going with the flow and supporting trends rather than coming close to doing things their own way.

I'm all for the availability of Steam, especially on a generally safe-from-issues computer. The thing is it feels like redundancy to have a gaming computer and console, and potentially a work computer at the same time. It can already run things through emulators so I have confidence anything is possible for the system depending on its specs.
While my setup is an extreme case (I have 5 computers, I blame it on being an IT guy), it is nice having a separate computer for work and for gaming. You have one strictly for work, and the other is for play. If I have Steam loaded up on my laptop, I get easily distracted and can’t focus on work.

Redundancy isn’t bad, because if you have one go down due to issues, you still have a backup.

Also the Steam availability on Chromebooks is nice for those who only have a Chromebook.

To answer your question on the quality of Stadia, it really depends on the quality of your internet, and whether or not your ISP has data caps. So if you have really fast fiber and no data caps, it works the way it’s supposed to, but if you don’t, well… you’re fucked.

Is Stadia any good though? I feel like they are just going with the flow and supporting trends rather than coming close to doing things their own way.
I heard you right, even if the stadia is the only option improved, their is no problem, it's still some sort of improvement.

It would be nice if a company like Asus release a Chromebox Gaming Desktop PC which has upgradeable parts like RAM, SSD, and graphics. I think some people may buy a game console size Chromebox PC which can also play Steam games, Android apps and games, and web browser games within the Chrome web browser.

It would be nice if a company like Asus release a Chromebox Gaming Desktop PC which has upgradeable parts like RAM, SSD, and graphics. I think some people may buy a game console size Chromebox PC which can also play Steam games, Android apps and games, and web browser games within the Chrome web browser.
I think it would be more marketable as a Chromebook aka laptop because building your own just feels like ordering the parts separately and Google doesn't make the parts I'm pretty sure.

I think it would be more marketable as a Chromebook aka laptop because building your own just feels like ordering the parts separately and Google doesn't make the parts I'm pretty sure.
Chrome OS doesn’t run on custom hardware, it’s standard off the shelf stuff. If you look at the specs for those devices, there’s nothing special. You just need an Intel processor, and toss in storage and RAM and it’ll work.

I agree a laptop would be more marketable. A Chrome OS Gaming PC probably have fewer buyers. Some users who already own a PC monitor, and Keyboard and Mouse could be more interested in a Chrome OS standalone computer without a built-in monitor and keyboard.

I think Chromebooks and Chromeboxes mostly use Intel CPU or Mobile CPUs from Samsung, MediaTek, and Nvidia, and the RAM are standard RAM chips from laptops.

I feel like gaming chromebook goes aginst the whole point of a chromebook imo.

I think the main point of a Chromebook is for making a affordable and simple computer to make a Google/gmail account, so Google can get thousands to millions of new users from Chromebook buyers who need a gmail account to use most of the features on a Chromebook and Google websites like YouTube and Gmail.

I thought the point of ChromeOS was for Google to spy on you even more?
I had a high school Chromebook once and even stuff I didn't use for schoolwork got erased anyways. I got scroogled over. Yeah, no real need to use them again.

The long battery life of some affordable Chromebooks would be useful for gaming. Hopefully, a Gaming focus Chromebook would have a very long battery life to play games for hours without the need to charge it.

Back