Staff member
Full GL Member
Credits
Amazon $20 Gift Card
Amazon $20 Gift Card
Amazon $20 Gift Card
Amazon $20 Gift Card
Official Link

I've learned about this handy tool from the guy who made the last eShop titles for 3DS on his YouTube channel from this video! We all have played the Game Boy at some point. It's a very straight-to-the-point system, with 8 input options, and 4 colors. Because of the limitations, it can be a much more approachable platform for beginners who want to make games. However, it's an old system. It uses C and Assembly code. But code is precise and hard to learn. I find it very impractical to learn so much for such a small amount of output, and it still looks old! In case you are determined look here!

Fear not! For behold I will bring you tidings of great joy, which will be to all people.

GB Studio, which you should donate to if you use this app, is everything you need to start and heighten your efficiency in Game Boy/Color/Super GB development! You can compose music in the app, You can edit tilesets in the map. You can import and export assets to external image editing apps (like Krita or Gimp). All the assets are put into a set of files in a project folder when you start a project. All it takes is some Google searches for scripting and reading the handy, straightforward documentation.

I cannot wait to see if you have the time and energy to create and share. I will try it for at least one project. IMO the longest part is the animating and spritework. This is a very refined application.

Back