froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
If you don't want Windows 10, whether free or otherwise, do not just click on the "X" close button of the latest Get Windows 10 nag windows. While that tool has bordered on just merely annoying for the past months, it has allegedly become more than simply aggressive. It has become deceitful. Because what happens instead of closing the window is that you are, in effect, saying "It's OK to upgrade my PC to Windows 10 when I least expect it and even if I don't want it."

Whether you're on Windows, Mac, or Linux, the close button on the window border is normally interpreted as "close", and is expected to cancel or negate the current action. While the GWX.exe, the "Get Windows X (10)" program, does indeed close when you hit that button, it doesn't cancel or reject the action it proposes. Instead, it interprets it the same as saying "OK".

Read More

Now is a good time to install one of those Windows 10 Upgrade blocker programs, or disable automatic update until August.

I think users pressing the X/Close button will create a lot of extra work for the technical support staff at schools, workplaces, and computer companies like HP, Dell, Acer, Microsoft, etc because users accidentally installed Windows 10 by clicking on the X/Close button.

That's really dirty, changing a function of one of the buttons which isn't a good thing to do.

That's really dirty, changing a function of one of the buttons which isn't a good thing to do.

I agree it is a very dirty thing to do since there is no Cancel/Don't Want button on the Get Windows 10 tool. Microsoft could of at least warn people that clicking the Close button will install Windows 10, and warn people not to close the Window if they don't want 10.

Back