Good idea replace computer case when replacing motherboard on Some Pre-built/retail Desktop PCs?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think it is a good idea to also replace the computer case on some cheaper retail pre-built desktop pc when replacing its Desktop PC's motherboard which is screwed onto the motherboard tray which is part of the case. Some pre-built desktop computers also have weird motherboards which are hard to find, so it maybe simpler to buy an ATX motherboard which work with your CPU, and CPU cooler, and install the new motherboard into an ATX motherboard compatible computer case made for ATX motherboards, and PCI cards which can fix in an ATX case.

Computer cases are not very expensive. You can buy a mid size ATX tower case for $40 on eBay or Amazon. Custom cases usually have more space for adding a bigger size video card, more hard drives and disc drives, bigger CPU heatsink cooler, and a bigger size motherboard with more PCI, PCI-E and PCI-Express expansion cards.

There are also a lot of Used Gaming computer cases which cost a 20 dollars or less which you can buy or get for free from Craigslist.

Many of computer cases from pre-built desktop computers are too small to fit a bigger motherboard, a larger CPU cooling system, with more PCI slots, PCI-Express graphics slots, a larger video card, and there is not enough hard drive, and disc drive holders to install more than one hard drive, and disc drive. Plus, installing hard drives, and disc drives can sometimes be very difficult on some pre-built cases where you need to take out the front faceplate, and unscrew a lot of screws and parts to access the drive holders.

A lot of pre-built PC cases are hard to install parts like hard drives, and video cards in your PC because the case are very small, and has a lot of wires in them which make it even harder.

Some of the cheaper cases on pre-built PCs also don't have a good cooling system because the cooling fan is too slow or there is no cooling fan except for the cooling fan on the power supply, so your PC can overheat more easily. The bad cooling in cheaper computer cases found in smaller pre-built computer cases can make computer parts break faster, and overheat a lot.

Many of the cases for pre-built desktop computers don't look good, and don't have enough front USB ports, so replacing the case to a better case can be nice.

Last edited:
Unless the case is dirty or broken, I see no reason to replace the whole thing.

Unless the case is dirty or broken, I see no reason to replace the whole thing.

Cases on very old computers can get rusty, and filled with cigarette smoke. Some of them also contain spider webs, and living bugs.

I think a lot of people replace a PC case because they are unhappy with how ugly or old their old computer case looks, and how hard it is to install stuff like hard drives, disc drives, PCI cards and fans in. I seen some ugly cases which are very slim where you can't easily install hard drive without bumping your hand against sharp metal corners, and metal pieces which can cut skin.

Cases on very old computers can get rusty, and filled with cigarette smoke. Some of them also contain spider webs, and living bugs.

I think a lot of people replace a PC case because they are unhappy with how ugly or old their old computer case looks, and how hard it is to install stuff like hard drives, disc drives, PCI cards and fans in. I seen some ugly cases which are very slim where you can't easily install hard drive without bumping your hand against sharp metal corners, and metal pieces which can cut skin.

I know they discolor, but never seen rust.

I know they discolor, but never seen rust.

Some computer cases are made of metal, and the metal can rust if there is water or steam in the air, or if the computer case had water damage from a flood, drinks poured on it, or fell in water.

Back