Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
I was wondering what are some good tv brands out there, mine is getting to be about 5 years old and could give out at anytime.

I am not so sure as to which TV would be the best but one I would avoid if you can is a Bush TV. Both my mum and me have had one of these and they have given up within less than a year so I would definitely advise not to go for Bush if you can help it.

Stay away from brands you see in Walgreen's like Coby, GPX, Sylvania, (their bulbs are shit, and those were the ZXE headlight bulbs we were using in that thread I posted on TC.) and other cheap shit like it, and definitely stay away from brands that have shitty batteries as well and think that people want a phone that has a retractable antenna in 2013.. (Panasonic)

My husband and I were talking about TV brands the other day and he said that our next our next one will be either a Samsung, Vizio (the brand that was started by people who left Sony) and i forget which other brands he said.

I know that he said he wouldn't get a Sony though.

As it is, our big CRTs are RCA and Sony.

The best thing for you to do though is go to the store your self so that you can see a side by side comparison.

LCD tvs are better than Plasma because they last longer, use less power and are more vibrant as well.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iJWv5R0VKcn/learn/learningcenter/home/tv_flatpanel.html

Panasonic Plasma TVs are pretty good. The blacks are very black, and the color quality seem better on a Plasmas, and there are no dead pixel problems on Plasmas where there are dots on a screen which stay one color all the time like on LCD which may have dead pixels on a defective LCD screens. Plasma also has faster screens, so there is no motion blur from slow pixel response times like LCD which sometimes have slower pixel response time, so the video ghosts/blurs where you can see the motion.

My 32" Samsung LCD, model LN32C350. I'm prefacing this by saying this is NOT how the TV normally ghosts. This type of severe ghosting is limited to SD (standard definition) content, but I'm posting it because it still reflects the problem exhibited - to a lesser extreme - in other content. Keep your focus on the older gentleman, first seen on the left side of the frame.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQHeUmQDILo

I heard Vizio, Westing House, Philips, and LG made pretty good LCD TVs.

I don't recommend Samsung because I saw a few videos on YouTube where Samsung TVs are bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkbOd7OCvJ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx0cg9qMevM

Demon_Skeith said:
wow, that's pretty bad. Have to wonder how some of these companies stay afloat.
They make better products like laptops, desktops, smartphones, and tablets which earn more money, and TV is not a huge money maker for them because most people already own TV, and more people are using their desktop's monitor, laptop, smartphone, and tablet to watch video because it is more convenient, and cheaper if they don't mind a smaller screen.

TV watching is also not as popular now that there are more activities like social networking, blogging, foruming, and web browsing for people to do, and the quality of TV shows are not that great since TV has too many reality shows, and shows which people don't like.

I never heard of any TV advertised as Gaming TVs, but there are Gaming Monitors with HDMI inputs. Gamers in the Major League Gaming uses the BENQ XL2420T Pro Gaming Monitor monitors for competitve console gaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHAPyw901D8

The size is kind of small for a TV, but good for a display in a bed room for gaming when sitting closer on a TV.

I think VGA has no lag, and it is as good as HDMI. There are VGA cables for Xbox 360, PS3, and Dreamcast. Tube monitors and TV has no lag because tube monitors don't need to flip pixels like LCD, and tubes quickly draw images on the glass screen, so there is no ghosting/motion blur problems on faster pace games compared to slower LCD with high response time for the pixels to flip.

I would stay away from LG since most of their stuff is bad. (We've had bad luck with them... Although they weren't TVs, they were dishwasher and a refrigerator, they broke down quickly. The dishwasher died only 9 months after we got it. Our fridge never worked right from day one. Water kept dripping from the freezer into the fridge. And for us, they didn't have anyone in the province that handles LG repairs.)

I have a 32" Sony Bravia BX320 TV (got it for christmas in 2011) and it works pretty well. It handles HDMI effortlessly... whether from my PS3 or output from my HDMI port on my laptop or VGA port. The picture is crisp and the TV has very good viewing angles (so you can be almost horizontal to it before you can't see much) . The set up is very simple (open box, set up stand, plug in, power on, enjoy). 

So I'd recommend something in the Sony Bravia line (Maybe a BX330, though I'd say go for the EX series since they're a bit nicer than the BX330) since they tend to be high quality, with great picture and not outrageously expensive. (At least for LCD HD TVs... Sony line tends to be about 300-375$ for the entry level ranging up to 700$ for mid range.)

Panasonic is also a good name though. 

The sales during the holidays are not always the best deal. Sometimes, buying after the holidays is a better deal since stores need to make room for new products to sell by selling its unsold items after the holidays.

Although, Black Friday may have some good deals, but it is very hard to get the good stuff unless you camp out in front of the store for hours or days.

Back