froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Google has decided to cut the minimum app price in emerging markets.

This is why the minimum app price in a total of 17 countries has been cut by more than half with the new floor price for apps in these markets coming down to roughly $0.26. That’s a quarter of the minimum price set for customers in Europe and the United States.

Read More

It's good to see that the price of apps will be less for people living in poor countries.

But, I imagine this can make some independent app developers have a harder time to make enough money to pay their bills like electricity and food if a lot of app developers sell their apps for $0.26 causing app makers to need to sell more apps to earn enough money to live on.

App makers who make more expensive apps will now have to compete with cheaper priced apps which maybe as good or better than more expensive apps.

I feel most people who are poor, and living in an emerging poor country will mostly use free apps, and not buy as many paid apps, or in-app purchases when they have other more important things which they can buy with their money like food, electricity, water, and medicine.

So... Google is unaware that there are poor countries in Europe... :confused:

there is poor countries everywhere sadly. I think the last thing they need is apps though.

I think this is a good idea, I mean there are some games that are really not worth the 0.99$. Then again I think it won't change much to be honest. Good games will be expensive, some might be cheap and others will be overpriced :grin:

there is poor countries everywhere sadly. I think the last thing they need is apps though.

I agree, the last thing poor people need are apps when they probably can spend their money on food, and utility bills.

But, Apps are probably one of the few types of home entertainment which they can afford because everything else like music cds, movie dvds, magazines, console games, and cable TV are expensive.

I agree, the last thing poor people need are apps when they probably can spend their money on food, and utility bills.

But, Apps are probably one of the few types of home entertainment which they can afford because everything else like music cds, movie dvds, magazines, console games, and cable TV are expensive.

they would need a free internet/wifi to get them though.

they would need a free internet/wifi to get them though.

I think most smartphones comes with a very limited amount of data like 1GB or less until they pay expensive overage fees...

Google now offers free internet with Balloons in poorer countries, places with no internet.

There are also some poor countries like Lativa where most people are poor, but their internet is affordable, and fast.

Users can also use the app apk installer file which is stored on a MicroSD Card, transfer from a USB cable from a PC, or Micro-USB flash drive to install apps from the app installer apk file when offline.

I bet, many people in poor countries who pirate, and use free apps probably ask their friends, and family members to copy their app installer apk file, and load them to their smartphone by copying them to a MicroSD card, or using a USB cable or drive.

I think most smartphones comes with a very limited amount of data like 1GB or less until they pay expensive overage fees...

Google now offers free internet with Balloons in poorer countries, places with no internet.

There are also some poor countries like Lativa where most people are poor, but their internet is affordable, and fast.

Users can also use the app apk installer file which is stored on a MicroSD Card, transfer from a USB cable from a PC, or Micro-USB flash drive to install apps from the app installer apk file when offline.

I bet, many people in poor countries who pirate, and use free apps probably ask their friends, and family members to copy their app installer apk file, and load them to their smartphone by copying them to a MicroSD card, or using a USB cable or drive.

Most people in poor countries pirate it. I mean if you think about it, you can see that taking away 1$ from your pay check can mean a big difference. In my country the average salary is around 200$, let's say all the expenses except food are covered with 100$ if you are not in any kind of debt, so you get 100$ for the food and what else you need, leaving you with maybe 10-20$ at the end of the month that can be spend on cloths or something for yourself. It's a bit hard to determin a price for an item internationally.

Personally if I was in a poor country the last thing I would bother to do is buy apps. I would much rather just get the apk file off the internet xD

Personally if I was in a poor country the last thing I would bother to do is buy apps. I would much rather just get the apk file off the internet xD

Same for me, if I was very poor, I probably just get the APK off the internet, or just use a free alternative app which is as good or better in some cases.

I may buy a paid app to support my friend if a friend made a paid app which I wanted to use, and can afford.

I don't want to hurt his feelings when he saw me using his paid app, and latter found out I pirated his app instead of buying it from him.

Back