Google Android + Chrome OS = Andromeda; merged OS reportedly coming to the Pixel 3 laptop

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
It has been almost a year since The Wall Street Journal dropped a bomb of a scoop on the Android community, saying Chrome OS would be "folded into" Android. The resulting product would reportedly bring Android to laptops and desktops. According to the paper, the internal effort to merge these two OSes had been underway for "roughly two years" (now three years) with a release planned for 2017 and an "early version" to show things off in 2016. It seems like we're still on that schedule, and now Android Police claims to have details on the new operating system—and its first launch device—coming Q3 2017.

Imagining what Google’s hybrid Android-plus-Chrome OS might look like
First up, we've got a host of new code names to throw at you. The hybrid OS is apparently called "Andromeda."

Read More

This does look like a useful operating system for Chrome OS laptops which don't have as many apps and games as Google Android which has many games and apps.

I wonder if Andromeda will come to Android smartphones and tablets, so users have the option of using the desktop version of Chrome on their mobile device. I feel Android users will want to use the Chrome OS Desktop version of Chrome browser because it supports custom themes, extensions, add-ons, and plug-ins which many people use to improve their web browsing experience.

Can't say I would ever be using this myself.

Can't say I would ever be using this myself.

I doubt I ever see a Google Pixel 3 laptop in real life because they are expensive where for the same price you can buy a nice Gaming laptop or similarly priced Apple Macbook.

But, there is a possibility of me using Andromeda OS if Google replaces Chrome OS and Android because I own a few Chrome OS, and Android devices.

If a computer technician work at a larger company, school, or go to people's homes to fix computers there would be a possibility that they will run into a computer running Andromeda OS because there are users who use alternative non-mainstream operating systems.

A lot of Chrome OS users will upgrade their operating or devices to a PC which runs Andromeda if they had a choice to upgrade to Andromeda. Chrome OS does not have enough apps, and games like Google Android, but Android's Chrome web browser is not as feature-rich as the desktop version of Chrome which supports many add-ons, plug-ins, and themes.

Back