Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
In a letter sent to all employees and later published online, Google CEO Sundar Pichai announced that the company would be parting ways with approximately 12,000 employees. This “difficult decision” comes after two years of growth that led the company to have “hired for a different economic reality than the one we face today,” according to Pichai. While the CEO takes full responsibility for the layoffs, he also highlighted the future of Google and its investments in AI.

Google employees impacted by these layoffs and based in the US already received an email to inform them of their notification period. The company will pay their salaries during this period of a minimum of 60 days as well as 2022 bonuses and remaining vacation time. Google also offers a severance package starting at 16 weeks' salary plus two weeks for every additional year at the company, on top of shares of Google capital stock. To help support employees while they look for their next opportunity, Google gives six months of healthcare, job placement services, and immigration support for those affected. While these compensations are guaranteed for US Google employees, workers from other countries will receive support “in line with local practices.”

This massive Google layoff comes a few days after Microsoft announced that it would eliminate a total of 10,000 jobs by the end of the third quarter of the 2023 fiscal year. Both Google and Microsoft hired for various positions as the COVID-19 pandemic boosted their growth, but as the economic situation is going back to its normal state the companies are parting ways with thousands of employees. GAFAM and Facebook’s parent company Meta also confirmed mass layoffs, with over 11,000 expected to leave the company through the first quarter of 2023.

source

Or The CEO could take half wages at least like what the Late Iwata San did when Wii-u failed.

I agree and this crap needs to stop!
It weeds out the losers, bro. C'mon. This is what recessions do. Most of the people who were hired at Twitter, Facebook, Google are diversity hires, hence how I said "Ideologically" driven idiots.

A lot of layoffs for sure, but I do have to note that the company treated those employees quite well. 16+ weeks of pay of they decide to leave, honoring bonuses and PTO time. At least the are not just kicked out the door like many places do.

A lot of layoffs for sure, but I do have to note that the company treated those employees quite well. 16+ weeks of pay of they decide to leave, honoring bonuses and PTO time. At least the are not just kicked out the door like many places do.
Yeah, from one angle it seems fair but if they end up not getting new jobs soon, it's not going to matter.

Read Zoom will layoff 1300 Employees, and CEO is taking pay cut. Read from CNN:

In a memo to employees, Zoom’s CEO Eric Yuan said the layoffs would impact every part of the organization. Yuan also said he and other executives would take a significant pay cut, after acknowledging he made “mistakes” in how quickly the company grew during the pandemic.

“As the CEO and founder of Zoom, I am accountable for these mistakes and the actions we take today– and I want to show accountability not just in words but in my own actions,” he wrote. “To that end, I am reducing my salary for the coming fiscal year by 98% and foregoing my FY23 corporate bonus.”

Yuan said members of the executive leadership team will reduce their base salaries by 20% for the coming fiscal year and forfeit their fiscal year 2023 bonuses.

Read Zoom will layoff 1300 Employees, and CEO is taking pay cut. Read from CNN:

In a memo to employees, Zoom’s CEO Eric Yuan said the layoffs would impact every part of the organization. Yuan also said he and other executives would take a significant pay cut, after acknowledging he made “mistakes” in how quickly the company grew during the pandemic.

“As the CEO and founder of Zoom, I am accountable for these mistakes and the actions we take today– and I want to show accountability not just in words but in my own actions,” he wrote. “To that end, I am reducing my salary for the coming fiscal year by 98% and foregoing my FY23 corporate bonus.”

Yuan said members of the executive leadership team will reduce their base salaries by 20% for the coming fiscal year and forfeit their fiscal year 2023 bonuses.
More companies are likely to join the same path. Which company do you think would be the next to layoff their workers?

That is extremely sad! I'm not for robots or AI replacing humans as humans need to eat, have a roof over their heads, etc. I'm not saying this is the reason Google laid people off but they really have to think about the lives they are affecting. That people are not just a number.

That is extremely sad! I'm not for robots or AI replacing humans as humans need to eat, have a roof over their heads, etc. I'm not saying this is the reason Google laid people off but they really have to think about the lives they are affecting. That people are not just a number.
It's really so the rich who own the AI avoid paying people so they stay poor and controlled their whole lives.

Read from tweaktown:

With revenues falling and the big tech companies cutting thousands of jobs to tighten their fiscal belts, today comes a surprising announcement from Google. It looks like the Google Cloud division will be asking its employees (referred to internally as Googlers) to share desks, with the measure described as a way for Google to continue to invest in the Cloud. Sounds like there's not much of a need for physical desk space up in the cloud.

CNBC's Jennifer Elias acquired an internal memo about the new Cloud Office Evolution desk-share policy which states, "most Googlers will now share a desk with one other Googler."

Read from tweaktown:

With revenues falling and the big tech companies cutting thousands of jobs to tighten their fiscal belts, today comes a surprising announcement from Google. It looks like the Google Cloud division will be asking its employees (referred to internally as Googlers) to share desks, with the measure described as a way for Google to continue to invest in the Cloud. Sounds like there's not much of a need for physical desk space up in the cloud.

CNBC's Jennifer Elias acquired an internal memo about the new Cloud Office Evolution desk-share policy which states, "most Googlers will now share a desk with one other Googler."
As long as they get to keep their jobs, there's not much big deal with sharing a desk.

Back