Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
1rog1i.jpg

Google's Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) project will debut early next year with many publishing, advertising and analytics partners on board. AMP is meant to make web pages much leaner for mobile so that they load faster on low-performance devices, such as most smartphones.

AMP is an open source framework that uses a subset of HTML5 features and eliminates all of the things that make pages load much more slowly these days.

Read More

People with older smartphones, and users who have a low bandwidth limit, and slower speeds will benefit most from these Accelerated Mobile Pages.

Hopefully, these new AMP mobile websites are not too basic looking where AMP websites look like a text file with embedded pictures, video, outdated looking word fonts, and outdated website themes like from the 1990s where a lot of websites look like a text file with pictures and videos which are poorly arranged and formatted.

I kind of prefer current mobile sites compared to using apps because I find sometimes the mobile site has more features, and a nicer design than the app. I feel these new AMP sites may take away some nice features which are found on mobile sites, and make a mobile website work more like a basic app which you can just read articles, like/bookmark articles, but don't have more advance features like a good commenting system, recommended articles, forums, polls, and a nice image gallery.

Last edited:
That's pretty good, despite most sites offering mobile friendly set ups.

I think these Google AMP sites are slimmer light versions of regular mobile sites which has more JavaScript, codes, and HTML which can slow down very old and slower smartphones which came with bad web browsers like the original Android browser which is not very fast, and Internet Explorer which is used on Windows Phone, and Xbox 360 & One.

Google's Accelerated Mobile Pages (...) AMP is meant to make web pages much leaner for mobile so that they load faster on low-performance devices, such as most smartphones.
Google should focus on improving their mobile operating system, to make it less sluggish, more like iOS, instead of trying to change the internet. I mean, try to compare how a site loads on an old iPhone 4 in comparison to an Android smartphone from 5 years ago... The difference is remarkable...

Google should focus on improving their mobile operating system, to make it less sluggish, more like iOS, instead of trying to change the internet. I mean, try to compare how a site loads on an old iPhone 4 in comparison to an Android smartphone from 5 years ago... The difference is remarkable...

I agree, it would be nice if Google improves its mobile operating system, and apps to work well on slower phones.

A lot of people use Blogger, Google Search, YouTube, Gmail, etc on a smartphone/tablet, so everyone who browse the web on a smartphone will benefit from these AMP websites which load faster and use less data.

Oh, so just Google-owned sites would benefit of these accelerated mobile pages?

I think any website can use AMP website templates according to the full article:

"Major publishers such as the BBC, Sankei, New York Times, News Corp and Washington Post are already on board, and many others have also committed their support to the project. Twitter, Pinterest and WordPress.com were also some of the first sites to adopt the framework. Google has shown how AMP can cut the typical load time of a New York Times article from three seconds to less than half a second, which should help these publishers get new readers and higher engagement for their sites."

Source

I bet, there are already some websites using AMP website templates since WordPress.com is huge, and run some of the largest blogs and websites in the world.

A lot of the newer WordPress Templates maybe updated to become AMP templates, so the site loads faster.

Back