Graphics cards these days are hard to get because of Bitcoin miners

OursIsTheFury

Full GL Member
Credits
I wanted to upgrade my graphics card recently, but apparently all the modern ones have been sold out because Bitcoin miners have been purchasing GTX 1070s and 1080s so they could create their farms, which apparently started up again after a quiet year. Competition for these cards are so tough there's almost $100 extra in the price because of the increased demand and the decreasing supply. What's up with these things, and are they truly that profitable?

Well it getting to the point where graphic cards are getting more powerful than the modern CPU. I don't know where you live but I don't think there is much of a short supply of those cards here in Australia.

Well it getting to the point where graphic cards are getting more powerful than the modern CPU. I don't know where you live but I don't think there is much of a short supply of those cards here in Australia.
I live in Asia, but the shops here take their items from USA or Europe, and those places have been overrun by miners. Radeon, Nvidia; doesn't matter; any good graphics card over $300 can be used to mine 24/7, and people will get it because it's basically consistent money for absolutely doing nothing other than turning on the computer. I'd do it too if it weren't so expensive when it comes to the utility bills. I also like my computer so having it run 24/7 graphics-intensive programs would make it die a lot sooner.

How does that even work that you need a graphics card to mine for bitcoins?

How does that even work that you need a graphics card to mine for bitcoins?
You run a program on your PC that runs algorithms, which mines data, which you can sell to people (from what I understand). Problem is, it's a slow process unless you have a 1080 graphics card or something. Usual rates include $3 per day on a 1060 6GB, and that's if you run your PC 24/7, with your graphics card reaching temperatures of 80 degrees or more. I don't think it's worth it, but people out there think it's easy money.

I think using online websites like Amazon could be good places to get video cards. It is too bad that video card makers can't make enough video cards for all its buyers, so there is no shortage.

I think using online websites like Amazon could be good places to get video cards. It is too bad that video card makers can't make enough video cards for all its buyers, so there is no shortage.
Pretty sure those sites have jacked up their prices because of the sudden demand. I don't get farming bitcoin myself, but hey, it must be very productive in order to have such a high demand worldwide. It's pretty passive earnings from what I figure, so it's the best job to do for the lazy gamer out there who doesn't use his GPU much.

Back