froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
A group that calls itself the Turkish Crime Family is claiming to have the login credentials to more than 627 million iCloud.com, Me.com, and Mac.com email addresses.

They are also threatening to wipe the data from millions of Apple accounts if the company does not pay them a ransom of $150,000.

Read More

Hopefully, enough users are aware of this news, and quickly backup their important files to an external storage drive, and change their username and passwords for their Apple accounts on iCloud, Me, and Mac addresses.

It is important for all smartphone, tablet, and PC users to backup their important data to an external hard drive, ssd, usb flash drive, DVD-R disc, other offline computers, and other forms of data backup storage media to protect their data from being deleted by a hacker, or hardware failure like when a storage drive randomly breaks.

I think non-Apple users like Windows, and Linux users should also backup their data since the same types of data attacks, and other types of attacks like Ransomware, malware, and hacking can happen to non-Apple users.

I dare them to do it! Since I don't own any apple products and stand to lose nothing :p

Also they are black mailing apple right? They should be asking triple that amount.

$150,000? That's nothing to Apple so obviously they aren't going to take them seriously. If you were a serious organisation and actually had all these login information then I'm sure they would have enough brain cells to realise how much more that data is worth.

I dare them to do it! Since I don't own any apple products and stand to lose nothing :p

Also they are black mailing apple right? They should be asking triple that amount.

Yes, they are black mailing Apple. Maybe the hackers think they won't go to jail as long if they are caught by the police for blackmailing Apple.

$150,000? That's nothing to Apple so obviously they aren't going to take them seriously. If you were a serious organisation and actually had all these login information then I'm sure they would have enough brain cells to realise how much more that data is worth.

Apple maybe taking this threat seriously by improving Apple's account security, and asking users to change their passwords. Some hackers may think they are more likely to get money by asking for smaller amounts of money, and may not go to jail as long if they get caught for blackmailing companies for less money instead of many millions of dollars. It may also be easier to hide $150000 from the police, and government compared to millions of dollars which may look more suspicious when you suddenly deposited millions of dollars into a bank account, Paypal, or Bitcoin wallet company, and you do not work for a big company, or own a business.

Most of the very important data on iOS and OS X devices may already be backed up by users to a USB flash drive, other non-Apple computers, and online storage like iCloud or Dropbox, so users can just restore their data from backup drives.

Apple's iCloud.com, Me.com, and Mac.com website, and user files are most likely backed up on a daily or hourly basis to another online storage company or server which the public can't access. Apple could restore most of the files by re-uploading them to their main web host server, or setting up iCloud, Me, and Mac domain name to point to the backup server.

But, a lot of consumers who don't backup their data on their device will lose their data if the hacker actually can remotely wipe Apple devices is true, and Apple users don't regularly backup important files to a USB hard drive, flash drive, and Disc if they have a CD/DVD burner connected to their Mac PC.

Last edited:
Back