Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Security researchers at Proofpoint have uncovered the very first wide-scale hack that involved television sets and at least one refrigerator.

Yes, a fridge.

This is being hailed as the first home appliance "botnet" and the first cyberattack from the Internet of Things.
A botnet is a series of computers that seem to be ordinary computers functioning in people's homes and businesses, but are really secretly controlled by hackers. The Internet of Things, is a new term in the tech industry that refers to a concept where every device in your house gets its own computer chip, software, and connection to the Internet: your fridge, thermostat, smart water meter, door locks, etc.

To a hacker, they all become computers that can be hacked and controlled.

In this case, hackers broke into more than 100,000 everyday consumer gadgets, such as home-networking routers, connected multi-media centers, televisions, and at least one refrigerator, Proofpoint says. They then used those objects to send more than 750,000 malicious emails to enterprises and individuals worldwide.

• The hack happened between December 23, 2013 and January 6, 2014, and featured waves of malicious email, typically sent in bursts of 100,000, three times per day, targeting enterprises and individuals worldwide.
  •     About three-quarters of the emails were sent by regular computers, but the rest, slightly more than one-quarter, were sent by hacked home appliances.
  •     Hackers didn't have to be amazingly smart when breaking into home appliances. Many times they gained access because the home owners didn't set them up correctly, or used the default password that came with the device.

source

This is why computers shouldn't be kitchenware. There is no need and no matter how strong your password is you will most likely get hacked and just have trouble.

Maybe there will be antivirus, antispyware, antimalware, and firewall software for kitchenware in the future, or better operating systems which are harder to hack like CentOS which is based on Red hat Linux which is a more safe OS because many websites uses CentOS as the operating system,

It does seem pretty wasteful to have a computer in a fridge when the computer could be used for other tasks like doing homework, listening to music, or playing back videos on a computer screen.

identityissues8 said:
I'm sorry. But what would a computer in a Fridge actually even do? :confused:
Monitor the temperature in the fridge, and remind the owner to clean the fridge a few times a year. I heard on the news that many fridges are dirty because people spilled meat, juice, fruits and other types of food on them, and they are not clean. There sometimes is forgotten spoiled food at the back of the fridge which a computer can warn people not too eat.

But, most likely, the computer would be used for casual tasks like watching YouTube videos on a screen, listening to music, or playing mobile games.

Same for me, I would probably not get a fridge with a computer. But, the cost of computers are getting very cheap, so adding  a cheaper PC won't make the cost of a fridge cost much more.  There are small computer which cost $25 like the Raspberry Pi, so the cost of adding a PC will just cost a little more.

In the future, it maybe harder to buy a quality new refrigerator without a computer like buying good cell phones which is not a smartphone since many regular cell phones these days are poorly made, and over priced where cheaper smartphone cost a few dollars more or the same than a regular cell phone.

froggyboy604 said:
Monitor the temperature in the fridge, and remind the owner to clean the fridge a few times a year. I heard on the news that many fridges are dirty because people spilled meat, juice, fruits and other types of food on them, and they are not clean. There sometimes is forgotten spoiled food at the back of the fridge which a computer can warn people not too eat.

But, most likely, the computer would be used for casual tasks like watching YouTube videos on a screen, listening to music, or playing mobile games.
What's wrong with the normal method of temperature control?
Also, I don't see how someone can simply forget to clean their fridge. Do it every time you do your grocery shop and you won't have any worries, AND it doesn't take long because you're doing it while it's empty/still maintained from next time.

I don't get the need for computers in everything and anything, honestly.

Having a computer in a fridge could be useful for people who live in a small Trailer or tiny apartment with many people where free space is very small, so having a fridge which has a full desktop computer in it would save some space.

The computer case modding community also like making strange computers because it is their hobby. There are already computer fridge case mods. A fridge computer could be attractive to the modding community which are also PC gamers. PC gamers usually drink cold soda, and snacks while they game, so taking out a soda, and ice cream from their computer fridge would be great.

rmr51c.jpg

identityissues8 said:
What's wrong with the normal method of temperature control?
Also, I don't see how someone can simply forget to clean their fridge. Do it every time you do your grocery shop and you won't have any worries, AND it doesn't take long because you're doing it while it's empty/still maintained from next time.

I don't get the need for computers in everything and anything, honestly.
when you work all week and you just buy stuff and toss it in the fridge, you be amazed.

I agree with DS, people are over worked, so they just buy food after work, and forget about all the food they buy because their job is taking up too much of their time, so there is less time for tasks like cleaning a fridge, and remembering to eat food before it spoils because people work too many hours a day which take away their time, and energy away from house work.

Back