Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
At its E3 press conference this morning, Microsoft officially unveiled Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, a remake of the game that launched the Xbox brand 10 years ago this November. Set for release on November 15th, Halo CE Anniversary will be priced at $40.00 USD and will feature a host of new additions, including online cooperative play.

Halo CE Anniversary is being developed in conjunction with Timeshift developer Saber Interactive and Certain Affinity, known most recently for their work on the second Map Pack DLC for Halo: Reach. Anniversary uses the Halo: Reach engine to present an updated look for the original campaign, as well as a Classic mode featuring the original assets from Halo: Combat Evolved.

Six multiplayer maps from the original Halo: CE are making the jump to Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, along with "Damnation" from Halo 2. Multiplayer will feature the full sweet of options that players have come to expect from the series - including Firefight mode.

Expect additional details on Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary at this summer's Halo Fest, being held at the Penny-Arcade Expo from August 26th through the 28th.

source

Can't wait! Glad to see the Halo series continue.

I will be getting this too. Been a fan of the Halo Series ever since I got my first Xbox followed by the Xbox 360! The Halo series has never been disappointing and I hope this isnt an exception too! :)

Sounds promising. Although, better graphics and faster movements are good enough for this new release.

More details:

We got to check out Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary last night at Microsoft's "Best of E3" Showcase event, and we learned a lot more details about the game. First and foremost: Halo: Combat Evolved is a very awkward name. Halo: Combat Evolved HD wouldn't have been that bad. But name issues aside, the game actually looks very impressive. Everything from weapon effects to orchestral music (the team spent a lot of time at Skywalker Sound tweaking the audio) has been improved.

Most telling is the "Classic Mode" that they put into the game. At the touch of a button, you can flip from the uprezzed version to what Halo: Combat Evolved originally looked like on the original Xbox. That was originally going to be a menu item, but it is so visually arresting that the team decided to make it more immediate. We were dropped in to the opening moments of the game, and when they changed it to the original graphics, it's shocking to see how different the game looks. The water effects alone will blow you away. You'll be thinking "Whoa. Halo looked terrible."

But Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary looks very impressive. Read on for more details, and a list of the things you may not know.

The game is actually running two engines simultaneously. The classic engine runs to make the game play the exact same way that it did in the original Halo, and then they're running a graphical engine on top of that to provide the uprezzed visuals. 343 Industries worked with Austin-based Certain Affinity (and creators of the newly announced Crimson Alliance) helped build the new version of the game, while Saber Interactive is working on the multiplayer, which is actually running using the Halo: Reach engine.

What that means is that you're going to get extremely upgraded maps in the multiplayer (Damnation alone seriously looked off the charts impressive over the original map), and abilities like jetpacks and armor lock as well. That's something that wasn't even present in the original, and you'll be glad you have those jetboosts to help you get around.

Terminals are making a comeback and being retrofitted into Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary. Except you won't be reading text on them like you did in Halo 3. Instead, you'll be watching full-motion video narrated by Guilty Spark. It will fill out the story of the Halo universe, and hopefully lead us into Halo 4.

The game is disc-based, although 343 is "exploring other distributuon options."
The game will retail for $39.99.
Halo Waypoint will be integrated with Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, and there will be some secrets revealed there.
When asked about the possibility of the same treatment for Halo 2, a 343 spokesman said "That's a good question... which I will be evasive on! Right now we're really excited to be talking about Halo: Combat Evolved."
The game will "ship with seven maps," including one Firefight map, but you can probably expect more via DLC.
The extremely overpowered Magnum pistol is making a triumphant return.
There are more secrets yet to come, and those will be revealed over the next few months, including at 343's "Halo Fest" in Seattle, which runs during PAX East.

source

Thanks so much for informing me! Halo is one of my favorite series but I was almost positive that they wouldnt be coming out with another one! Well lucky me! I can't wait to get this but I doubt it will be as good as Halo Reach. Who knows though, only a couple of months to go. :)

I think this is very very stupid, why fix something that isn't broken?
I think Halo has become a milked dry piece of crap series, worse then CoD....I actually enjoy CoD......

I think Halo has become a milked dry piece of crap series, worse then CoD....I actually enjoy CoD......

I also thought that Reach was going to be the last one but it doesn't suck. I think CoD sucks because they just keep coming out with the same things (even same guns sometimes). Bungie at least tries to improve their games and add new features like the armor abilities. I think they both need to stop making new games though, and a new company should just make a sick game :)

They aren't milking it if they release a game every few years or so, rather than a rehashed game EVERY year. Plus they are bringing to the 360 for an anniversary, plus it will have online, with more features. They aren't fixing something broken, they are reestablishing it.

It's a good idea to make money, but if you've played the original Halo and the most recent games, I don't really see the point.
I guess it's good for people who have never played the original, and I'm sure Halo fans will lap it up.

Damn! I can't wait to see this coming out in stores. It really isn't too expensive, either. I can tell that many people are going to buy this game. I always enjoyed playing cooperative with my friends on slit screen, but now I can actually play it on live! This game will be totally SICK! Thanks for letting the community know!

I wouldn't buy it, but I'll suggest it to one of my friends that plays games more than me, ;)

Maybe when I go over by him, I'll play it.

All of these Halo updates have me excited. I have the first Halo on my shelf and play it from time to time, it's going to be fun to see it with modern day graphics. I think the real time switch to classic mode will be fun, as, it'll better able us to compare old vs. new.

Back