Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
DDoS (Denial-of-service attack) happens to make a website or hosting go offline so no one can reach it. Has this happened to your site or hosting before?

Baz, 

DDoS attacks are easy to launch and extremely difficult/costly to defend against. So it's not a matter of "hosts should be prepared" because there is very little hosts can really do. Even with anti-DDoS measures that doesn't mean a site is protected or that a DDoS won't still break right through and cripple the site.

I have not been DDoS'd directly (and I hope not to have to deal with it)... But when my site was hosted with JFH we were brought down a few times due to someone DDoSing them. It was a crappy feeling each time. Made worse by the fact you had no idea who was doing it or why.

Well i've never been effected so that's a good thing in my book. Isn't it just a case of just people having too much time on their hands a bit like most trojans etc.

I think my web host has been DDOS, but it was pretty rare, and only happens once every few years. 

I think more people are learning about Cybercrime laws, and the dangers of going to prison for launching a DDOS. If the criminal gets appointed to a a non-tech savvy judge, or jury during trial, they could be charge with hacking which cause them to go to prison for many more years because it is a more serious crime.

froggyboy604 said:

I think more people are learning about Cybercrime laws, and the dangers of going to prison for launching a DDOS. If the criminal gets appointed to a a non-tech savvy judge, or jury during trial, they could be charge with hacking which cause them to go to prison for many more years because it is a more serious crime.

I kind of doubt that.

I mean most people who are likely to launch attacks likely don't know or care about the laws because they know that the probability they'll get caught is extremely low. (Heck, even most people who actually do break into sites and cause damage don't get caught.)  DDoS attacks are extremely difficult to track because they largely aren't even launched from the attacker's own system (unlike a normal hack where that hacker does in some way have to connect to the target, even if it's via a VPN/proxy).  In order for them to get caught they have to do some major damage or cause a huge security breach or something else pretty large. (Otherwise the authorities aren't really going to bother wasting the time/expense to chase them down. Not when there are other, much larger, cyber crime issues going on.)

DDoSer maybe hard to trace, but there is always a chance of getting caught.

I read there was a teen who DDoS Call of Duty, and got caught : 17-year-old arrested after Call of Duty DDoS attack

A 17-year-old boy was recently arrested in the Beswick area of Manchester, by the Metropolitan Police's e-crime unit.  For what, you wonder?  Screwing around in Black Ops -- in a bad, bad way.

The culprit, whose name was not released due to his age, was reported to local authorities back in September by Activision, who probably noticed the DDoS (denial of service) attack on their Black Ops servers relatively quickly.
Plus, the police maybe more likely to help out a huge company like Activision Blizzard because some of the police officers are most likely fans of Call of Duty, and World of Warcraft. Activision pays a lot of taxes to the local economy from the sales of Call of Duty, and World of Warcraft game disc at stores, so Activision may get faster service from the police if the police treat large businesses better than the average person who reports a crime because Activision contributes a lot of taxes from the sale of games.

A lot of small hosting companies are reseller web hosts who subscribe to giant web host  like GoDaddy, and Host Gator which most likely hire web host security staff to deal with DDoS problems. GoDaddy, Host Gator, etc don't want to lose reseller web host costumers who sometimes pay hundreds to thousands of dollars a month to resell their web hosting services to costumers.

I heard GoDaddy service is not very good, and a lot of people who hosted WordPress blogs on their web host got infected by a virus, so you maybe right that GoDaddy can't defend against DDoS.

GoDaddy web hosting and domain name prices are pretty expensive, and it is still one of the biggest web host and domain sellers online, but they are also very cheap, and don't want to spend the money to defend their users.

Yup. AMF was attacked and we lost so much traffic during that time.
It was sad but then again, it can't be helped I suppose.

Back