Have you ever used media player software to stream online music and video?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I used to use Winamp media palyer to listen to online radio, and watch online video. Winamp was how I discovered Kpop, Jpop, and other forms of asian music by using its shoutcast service. I also watched a lot of good Asian music videos on Winamp's shoutcast TV.

I also used Windows Media Player, Quicktime, Realplayer, Foobar, and VLC media player to stream online radio, and watch online streaming video.

I found that using media players to stream online video, and music uses less CPU, and RAM compared to using my web browser to watch online video, and music.

I also used Winamp on Android to listen to online radio. On Android, I usually just use the YouTube app, and other video streaming apps like Dailymotion, Vimeo, Vlive, etc to watch online video because it is more convenient than using a web browser in Android to watch video.

I never knew that stuff could do anything with online programs.

I never knew that stuff could do anything with online programs.

I think a lot of media players don't spend much time advertising their online streaming features, so few people know about them except for people who listen to internet radio, and watch internet tv.

Do you need them? Most browers look just fine.

If you use a slower computer, or need to use an add-on to record online radio, or video from the media player, you would need a better media player program which is more advanced than a web browser which only have basic streaming functions.

Web browsers use a lot more RAM, and CPU resources than a music player, or simple video player like the one which is built-into Winamp media player. A media player sometimes uses under 100MB of RAM.

There are also basic media player apps/programs which are just designed to listen to one radio station, watch one online tv station, or use one online service like Rdio, Spotify, etc. These single use apps sometimes run faster than a web browser and some media players with more advance features.

But, web browsers like Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox uses many hundreds MBs to GBs of RAM if they are open for a very long time.

I also like that music and video players use less screen space on my desktop compared to a web browser.

You can also make a playlist or bookmarks of your favorite online radio stations, or video stations in Winamp.

There are also plug-ins/add-ons for Winamp and other media players to record online radio and video streams.

Last edited:
Back