Have you noticed on portable consoles?

Shade

Shade Nightwood
Awards
Credits
Basically every time there is a new portable system one of the first few games out are well remakes. Like Star Fox 64... 3D.... seriously Nintendo just putting 3D in it doesn't make it a brand new game worth $40.

Hmm. I guess that's true, but it doesn't bother me at all. They usually end up putting out games that people have been wanting on a portable device. I've been waiting for Starfox 64 to be available on a handheld for years. And most of the time they improve the original game, and add to it. Starfox 64 3D has had a major graphics overhaul with more polygons and much higher resolution textures, completely rerecorded audio and soundtrack, the ability to save in between missions so it's perfect for 'on the go' play, and an improved versus mode with new items and features, as well as retaining the complete game and all it's features. It's definitely worth $40.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's a common pattern. But I guess it's meant to show off the console's power. After all, if the Game Boy was all you were used to, seeing the Mario Advance series helped prove the system was a significant upgrade. Same with Mario 64 DS, to see a 3D game on a handheld like that was amazing.

And the same with the 3DS and its early games. Ocarina of Time was an obvious one (although it was also partly made to give the console a 'killer app' while decent new games were being worked on due to Pilotwings and Steel Diver bombing), but I think Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D was the real stand out, proving the system was basically a portable Gamecube/Wii rather than Nintendo 64.

Yeah I think remakes being made early on is a great idea. I completely agree with Nin3DS when he says that it shows off the consoles power. Also it allows newcomers to Nintendo to play games that they had originally missed out on.

That too. It's how I first played a lot of games. Indeed, Mario Advance 1-4 probably introduced me to most of the Mario series (I never had a NES in the old days and was mostly into portable systems before then).

Plus it gives them an easy way to fill out their game library quickly, and doing so with older games that people are going to have an emotional attachment too and want to repurchase is a great idea. It endears people to the new system, as well as giving you prettier, updated versions of older classics!

Ports can be done quickly and cheaply, and they do a lot of good for both the system and gamers like everyone else has said. SM64DS was pretty amazing back in 2004. I never had a Nintendo 64 so it was a great opportunity for me and it was the first game I got with my DS.

Super_Mario_64_DS-Graphics_comparison.jpg

Well I suppose, I just wish they could make a lot more new games instead of remakes. I'm looking at you Hollywood!

i like having remakes

on each video game system that

is portable.

i think it is a good idea.

Back