Head of Xbox Says Games Like Zelda and Horizon Don't Have The Same Impact

Dark Young Link

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Xbox Boss Says Games Like Zelda, Horizon Don’t Have Same Impact

According to Phil Spencer, head of Xbox, story based single player games like Zelda and Horizon aren't suitable for a subscription service and that the genre is declining. For one, video games aren't meant to be a "subscription service." That's the thing that's actually killing my drive to play video games. I don't want to pay for a video game and then pay tons of money to play with other people. I bought the system, I bought game, I bought the internet connection, just let me play with my friends online.

Spencer then says,

"The audience for those big story-driven games… I won’t say it isn’t as large, but they’re not as consistent,” Spencer began. “You’ll have things like Zelda or Horizon: Zero Dawn that’ll come out, and they’ll do really well, but they don’t have the same impact that they used to have, because the big service-based games are capturing such a large amount of the audience."

This is utter BS. I'm willing to bet more people would rather play a single player game with an amazing story, over a game that flops in story and only focuses on multiplayer. I won't say any names. *cough*callofdutyandmedalofhonor*cough*

Seriously though, these fps's are actually losing popularity because of how often they come out. Every time a new one comes out, I hear how bad it is compared to last one and there's very few people who still enjoy them who aren't edgy 12 year olds.

You know why the numbers for story driven games aren't consistent? Because they don't make a new one every year. The last major Zelda game we got that wasn't a spin-off or a remake was A Link Between Worlds all the back in 2013. And the last major Zelda game on a console was back in 2011.

What do you think? Is he right, or he just spewing nonsense?

Declining? He does know that Breath of the Wild has already sold millions of copies and has a 100%+ attach rate for Switch owners, right?

So no, they're not declining. He might want them to, since multiplayer games mean being able to nickle and dime consumers for subscription fees. But at the end of the day, a lot of people just want a good old single player game they buy once and play all they like.

spewing nonsense obviously, or maybe to hide the fact he is jealous that other consoles are having bigger game profit that aren't based on FPS. Another one would be good to reference is shovel knight.

It is truly a shame though that he is saying this, since MS owns Rare which was once known for games like these.

spewing nonsense obviously, or maybe to hide the fact he is jealous that other consoles are having bigger game profit that aren't based on FPS. Another one would be good to reference is shovel knight.

It is truly a shame though that he is saying this, since MS owns Rare which was once known for games like these.
Oh, that's right. RIP Rare more than it already was.

Also, Halo is an FPS, but it also has a story driven single player mode. Does that mean they're going to give Halo, one of their highest grossing games, the boot? I mean, they obviously won't, but I'm just saying giving an example of an Xbox game that has a story and has a good online mode. So by saying this, it sounds like Halo no longer fits their standards.

He has a point to be fair. Imagine a game like Horizon having multiplayer - there would be double or even triple the sales. I mean I'm not buying it because it doesn't have a multiplayer as I don't want to pay £40 for a game that is singleplayer only.

He has a point to be fair. Imagine a game like Horizon having multiplayer - there would be double or even triple the sales. I mean I'm not buying it because it doesn't have a multiplayer as I don't want to pay £40 for a game that is singleplayer only.

momentary game sales, but down the line Horizon can still have money made from it vs a online FPS game that no longer has working game servers.

Back