Help me get up to date from 2012!

DreamBliss

Credits
I have not been following video game news as closely as I used to in years past. In short I want to know what consoles have been released and what games have been released for them. As I understand it there is the PS4, Wii U and Xbox One.

I would like a podcast or review that covers these in detail. Nothing filler or flashy. Just the facts. This is what the console can do, this is how it compares to the other consoles, these are the kinds of games that have been released on them, etc. Would really love a year in review sort of thing for 2012 - 2016.

Of specific interest to me are subjects such as split screen single console multiplayer and backwards compatibility. I am most interested in FPS, racing, RPG and adventure games I am especially interested in games that allow you to create your own content, on the console. I am not interested in PC or portable gaming.

Any information you share is appreciated, but links to quality, entertaining videos are the most appreciated. I have links to Game Bomb and sites like that. I just haven't figured out how to search for what I am looking for.

Thank you!

Some good questions, just curious before recommending anything but what did you have last as far as some games and consoles?

OK, so an update...

Been Googling and Youtubing around and have come to some initial conclusions:

1. The Wii-U is soon to be dead. It is the weakest of the game console systems, better to see what Nintendo's new console looks like. Going the Nintendo route would be the most fun. Games are enjoyable on that system. But with the Wii-U soon to be dead, and the graphics sub-par, there is really nothing else recommending it.

2. The Xone is not quite as powerful as the PS4. However unlike the PS4 the Xone is backwards compatible with the previous Microsoft console, the Xbox 360. Also unlike the PS4 you can play online for free. If memory serves the Xone has that special bluray player. It is the coolest and quietest running console, and the battery power for the controller lasts longer.

Now I stood in line to buy an Xbox 360 when it was first released, along with Quake 4. The lack of Quake 4's same-system split-screen multiplayer was the first of many disappointments. The only titles on that system I care about that I can't get on any other system are the Halo games. Honestly I am disappointed in Microsoft and don't want to give them my money anymore.

3. The PS4 Pro (I am not considering any other PS4) has no backwards compatibility except maybe PS1. There is a service for streaming some previous Playstation titles but you have to pay for it, and you have to pay to play online. It is the most powerful console, but lacks that special bluray player. The only games drawing me to it are The Last Guardian, the Infamous series and the Uncharted series.

4. The PS3 Infamous bundle intrigues me, because then I could play the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection.

Now I bought a PS3 years ago, and purchased Wipeout. The trouble with both Playstation and Xbox is that games are all about realism and super-high difficulty levels. There is no real interest in making games that are fun, with the exception of the Fable series, with is now dead because Microsoft killed off Lion's Head studios, another reason I don't want to give them any of my money.

The basic genres I enjoy are Adventure games like the Myst series, some racing games and some first-person shooters. I love big, open world games. I detest games that make things hard, under the, in my opinion, delusional belief challenge = fun. I still remember playing Grid and dying before the first lap was over. Also Timesplitters 2 or 3 where I kept getting killed no matter what I did. There was also that RPG that was supposed to be incredibly hard which I never played. Having to do the same level over and over again is repetition, not fun.

I enjoyed playing the first Witcher on PC, the Unreal Tournament series, the Elder Scrolls series, and Risen. I HATE, with a passion, all 3D ISO RPGs, without exception. I enjoyed Fable 1 and 2. One of my favorite game series of all time is Destruction Derby 1 and 2 on the Playstation.

I guess I will leave it there for now. If you need more information, just ask. Leaning towards either the PS3 Infamous Bundle or a PS4 Pro. Need a console because I live in an RV so there is limited space.

I thought backwards compatibility would be an issue for me with my ps4 but honestly, why bother going back when the graphics are great for the new games anyway.

adventure games
-You must get the Uncharted trilogy then when you are done that hit up the 4th one. You will not regard it. It's like a Indiana Jones type of game (it's exclusive to playstation though)
racing games - Need for speed came out in 2015 and they are selling for super cheap. very nice game.
THE CREW is the best. It's an open world racing game.

FPS Games and open world.
Sleeping dogs is the a hong kong version of gta5. Super crazy good but gta5 is awesome as well
FARCRY 3 and 4, and dying light.
If you check the trailers on youtube for the games you'll get a sense of if you'd like them. All of these games I mention really got me into gaming more.

How is same system split-screen on the Xone VS the PS4 Pro? Any good FPS games on either system that have offline split-screen multplayer deathmatch?

Oh and did Elveon ever get released?

WII U
Wii U is more of a party system because you can have four controllers and play together with friends. There are a lot of two - four player games. It isn't split screen you just play together on the same screen often.
Not to say they are not fun. Mario is still around and those games rock and so is donkey kong.
The down side is Nintendo is like the Disney of gaming. Most of their games are innocent like. One top of that but you miss out on the whole spectrum of very excellent games with awesome graphics.

With the PS4 and Xbox one, they are pretty much the same except for the exclusive games on each.
Just check the best exclusive games for each system then just pick one. they are mostly the same.
I couldn't go without uncharted and the wife liked little big planet so I chose the ps.

PS exclusives to check out
uncharted series, little big planet series, God of war series, Gran Turismo series, and last of us 2
X one exclusives to check out
Forza series, Halo, .... jeez, there are not many for xbox. Halo is the big one though.

Back