Home Computers with Blu-Ray disc drives usually faster and more reliable?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think PCs with Blu-Ray disc drives are usually faster and more reliable than computers without a Blu-Ray disc drive.

I think computers needs a faster CPU, video card, RAM, and other parts to play 1080P Blu-Ray. If you want to play 4K Blu-Ray movie discs on a PC, you would need a newer 4K ready Blu-Ray disc drive, faster CPU and video card which is fast enough to display 4K movies.

A large number of computers without any disc drives or cheaper disc drives like CD-ROM and DVD-ROM are also generally slower because they use slower Intel Core i3, Celeron and Atoms CPU, and similar CPUs with slower integrated video which is mainly only good for web browsing, Office work, pictures, and online video. A lot of PCs which come with Intel Celeron/Atoms, and similar chips are usually cheaply built with lower quality parts, so they maybe less reliable.

But, a lot of computers with Blu-Ray disc drives come with Intel Core i5 and better CPUs, faster RAM, and faster video chips because more of their buyers will use the PC for video editing, gaming, playing Blu-Ray movies, and more hardware intensive tasks which need higher quality parts which are more reliable.

Much like a 3.0 usb, it goes without saying blu-ray would have to be faster.

Honesty I don't really agree. I can build a PC with an I7 and so on and not put a blue ray drive in. Also you can have a computer that includes a blue ray drive and can't even play a blue ray movie.

Also you can have a computer that includes a blue ray drive and can't even play a blue ray movie.

I agree, you can have a computer with a Blu-Ray drive, but can't play a Blu-Ray movie. I think some people may use a Blu-Ray disc writer drive to copy and backup more than data to disc than a DVD which can only hold around 5 to 9 Gb of data, or burn Blu-Ray home video disc movie to playback on a Blu-Ray player or Game console with a Blu-Ray player like PS3 and PS4.

I think most pre-built desktops and laptop with Blu-Ray drives should be fast enough to play 1080P Blu-Ray and 1080P 3D Blu-Rays since Blu-Ray drives are mostly found on more expensive computers while DVD drives are still common on less expensive computers which cost $500 or less.

If blu ray players cost less than $100, I don't think you need a beefy computer to play them.

If blu ray players cost less than $100, I don't think you need a beefy computer to play them.

Users still need a more modern computer with a decent CPU like the Intel Core i3 to play Blu-Ray, and a older Windows XP or Vista computer with a 1.6 GHz CPU, 512MB RAM, and onboard videocard won't play Blu-Rays well or at a watchable framerate without slowdown problems. Newer netbooks, Windows tablets, and cheap mini-PC with Intel Celeron and Atom CPUs and 1-2 GB RAM may still not be fast enough to play Blu-Ray disc when you connect a USB Blu-Ray drive to it.

The system requirements for playing 3D Blu-Rays with hardware acceleration on Cyberlink Blu-Ray player software needs at least a Intel Pentium D 950 (3.0GHz), AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (2.4GHz) or better CPU, 2GB of RAM, and Intel Graphic Media Accelerator HD (Intel Core i3/i5), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 400 series and Gefore GT 240/320/330/340 video card.

For a regular non-3D Blu-Ray you can use a dual-core CPU, 512MB of RAM, and a video card with 256 MB or more RAM.

Source

Those are some pretty low specs. The reason you see blu ray disc drives on more expensive computers is because they use it as a feature. The more expensive your PC, the more frills they throw in. If I wanted a budget PC, I seriously doubt a blu ray disc drive would be anywhere on my checklist and most manufacturers know that. They make cheap PCs with cheap parts and leave out all the "nice to have but not necessary" parts.

Computers with blu ray disc players might happen to be more reliable just for the simple fact that you aren't gonna toss in a blu ray player with your budget PC (even though it should be able to play it). You only see these things thrown in on premium PCs as an extra bonus.

Those are some pretty low specs. The reason you see blu ray disc drives on more expensive computers is because they use it as a feature. The more expensive your PC, the more frills they throw in. If I wanted a budget PC, I seriously doubt a blu ray disc drive would be anywhere on my checklist and most manufacturers know that. They make cheap PCs with cheap parts and leave out all the "nice to have but not necessary" parts.

Computers with blu ray disc players might happen to be more reliable just for the simple fact that you aren't gonna toss in a blu ray player with your budget PC (even though it should be able to play it). You only see these things thrown in on premium PCs as an extra bonus.

I agree they are some pretty low specs for regular $400 Windows 10 computers which you buy from Bestbuy which usually have a Intel Core i3 or similar AMD CPU, and 4 or 8GB of RAM. The Blu-Ray drive is usually use as a feature on computers which cost closer to $1000 on Gaming and Workstation PCs sold at Amazon, and other stores.

I think budget PC users care most about getting the fastest budget CPU, motr RAM, and a lot of hard drive storage on a computer while spending under $400. A lot of the times, these PCs come with onboard video chips like Intel HD 4000 , no disc drive, or a DVD writer/burner drive to make recovery disc to save money. A Blu-Ray drive may break the $400 budget, and cause lower sales because a lot of countries have high sales tax rates like 20%, so you pay more sales tax by buying more expensive products.

Back