Switch How are you saving up to 'Switch'?

triforceguy1

Credits
The Nintendo Switch will be releasing in just two weeks (can you believe it) but if you want to purchase the new console with a couple games and accessories, you'll definitely have to pay a pretty penny.

So my question today is, if you are getting a Nintendo Switch, how are you saving up money for it? Do you have a job? Are you selling some old dust collectors? Tell us here!

Also, what games, controllers, and accessories will you be getting?

I'll just have to work quite a bit of overtime. I could do it in a couple months if I got serious about it.

I can easily go out and buy a Vita, PS4, Switch and Xbox one if I wanted to. I mostly earn money and sit on it these days.

Last edited:
If I wanted to I could afford it without having to do overtime or anything, I'm just not that interested in Nintendo's consoles or games to be honest, but I will keep an eye out.

Well I caved. Gathered up my Wii U, all my games and controllers and went to GameStop. They told me to save my Wii U for later since there's a chance they might run a promotion for additional trade in credit towards a Switch once it launches. They also have a 50% bonus trade in credit when you preorder Switch games and accessories. I ended up getting $425 for my games and controllers, so I was able to preorder and pay off Breath of the Wild and the charging controller. Now I'm left with $330 in trade in credit so I'll just go get a Switch when I can! Best news is I don't have to pay tax when I use trade in credit so I'll have an extra $30 after getting the Switch. I'll also still have my Wii U to trade in so I'll at least get $100 for it even if they aren't running a promotion. Hopefully the Pro controller will be back in stock by then.

Well I caved. Gathered up my Wii U, all my games and controllers and went to GameStop. They told me to save my Wii U for later since there's a chance they might run a promotion for additional trade in credit towards a Switch once it launches. They also have a 50% bonus trade in credit when you preorder Switch games and accessories. I ended up getting $425 for my games and controllers, so I was able to preorder and pay off Breath of the Wild and the charging controller. Now I'm left with $330 in trade in credit so I'll just go get a Switch when I can! Best news is I don't have to pay tax when I use trade in credit so I'll have an extra $30 after getting the Switch. I'll also still have my Wii U to trade in so I'll at least get $100 for it even if they aren't running a promotion. Hopefully the Pro controller will be back in stock by then.

huh, that's not bad for trade in credit. How much were you trading in exactly?

huh, that's not bad for trade in credit. How much were you trading in exactly?
I traded in 5 Wiimotes, 3 classic/GC controllers, and almost 20 Wii/Wii U games (mostly first party titles). The 50% bonus helped a ton!

Hopefully there's a trade in bonus for the Switch soon, otherwise I'll just try selling it on my own.

I'm thinking about cancelling my preorder for the charging controller, the joycons last 20 hours on their own.

I traded in 5 Wiimotes, 3 classic/GC controllers, and almost 20 Wii/Wii U games (mostly first party titles). The 50% bonus helped a ton!

Hopefully there's a trade in bonus for the Switch soon, otherwise I'll just try selling it on my own.

I'm thinking about cancelling my preorder for the charging controller, the joycons last 20 hours on their own.

very nice, not sure if you would have done better anywhere selling all that.

very nice, not sure if you would have done better anywhere selling all that.
I would have made more selling the stuff myself but that would take a while and I would have to make sure I don't get scammed in the process. Much easier and quicker to do it this way, no doubt.

I did a bit of both. Saved up a bunch of money by trading old games and I worked pretty hard to squeeze some money for it.
It felt really good to be done paying up both the console and Breath of the Wild.

I would have made more selling the stuff myself but that would take a while and I would have to make sure I don't get scammed in the process. Much easier and quicker to do it this way, no doubt.

Very true, but they do seem to be selling slowly online.

I did a bit of both. Saved up a bunch of money by trading old games and I worked pretty hard to squeeze some money for it.
It felt really good to be done paying up both the console and Breath of the Wild.

I hope its worth the cost.

Just checked GameStop and they are offering an extra $100 for trading a Wii U towards a Switch!! I'll get $200 for the console, bringing my total to $530 to buy a Switch ($299) and then I'll have $231 to spend on whatever.

Back