How far to go in order to power electronics?

Demon_Skeith

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
For most of us, powering up our game consoles is an inconsequential task. We're constantly funnelling electricity into our homes, igniting our electronics with satisfying efficiency. But for Amish 21-year-old Faron Yoder, who was recently interviewed on the always fantastic This American Life podcast, it's a little trickier than that. Yoder has to...well, I'll let him tell the story.

"The rest of the house is very Amish, the whole house is very Amish -- no electricity, gas lighting," he said. "My room...I've got a TV, I've got a stereo, I've got a PlayStation 2. A lot of my friends come here over, we play PlayStation -- you know, and drink beer."

A life without electricity might drive me to beer, too. But without electricity, how do his friends flip on the TV and PlayStation 2? That's where Yoder had to put his thinking cap on.

"Well, actually, it's...I've got an electrical chord," he explained. "This is kind of funny probably. I've got an electrical chord that runs up to my TV and to everything and I've got it going out my window and I run the chord out to my car. So I just go out, start up the car, plug in the electrical chord and I spend the whole night up here and I don't have to worry about it."

source

I might be wrong about this, but isn't the point of amish people to not have cars and electronics? So how far has anyone here gone to power of their stuff?

A generator, or solar power will probably be better. He does not seem very amish. The guy who wrote this also spelled cord wrong by spelling chord which is a guitar music term.

Back