How terrible is a $58 smartphone?

good for those on a budget.

Yeah, it looks semi decent for someone with a tight budget. But you would never see me with one of those

Yeah, it looks semi decent for someone with a tight budget. But you would never see me with one of those

I agree, this phone is good for people on a tight budget, but still want a semi decent phone.

I think cheap phones are good for using when traveling to countries where tourists are afraid that their phone get stolen in countries with a lot of theft crimes, and to countries where the police has the legal power to take your phone, unlock it, and search your phone's files, and call history like text, and voice calls.

I agree, this phone is good for people on a tight budget, but still want a semi decent phone.

I think cheap phones are good for using when traveling to countries where tourists are afraid that their phone get stolen in countries with a lot of theft crimes, and to countries where the police has the legal power to take your phone, unlock it, and search your phone's files, and call history like text, and voice calls.
Which countries are these :eek:? I'm sure American and European police don't have the power to do this.

Which countries are these :eek:? I'm sure American and European police don't have the power to do this.

Many of the stricter countries like North Korea, China, India, and Vietnam can order the police to unlock people's phones.

America had also arrested and forced people to unlock their phones to the police.

US-Born NASA scientist was arrested and pressured to unlock his cell phone.

"Bikkannavar says he was detained by US Customs and Border Patrol and pressured to give the CBP agents his phone and access PIN. Since the phone was issued by NASA, it may have contained sensitive material that wasn’t supposed to be shared. "

A US-born NASA scientist was detained at the border until he unlocked his phone

I don't think I would want to get one. A good smart phone costs at least 300$ or so. 58$ phone is just....well..not my cup of tea

I don't think I would want to get one. A good smart phone costs at least 300$ or so. 58$ phone is just....well..not my cup of tea

I agree more expensive phones would be nicer to use. But, cheap phones are good for people who are on a tight budget, or just need a smartphone to use for less intensive tasks where a cheap phone could be good enough for them. If you don't want a phone with a fingerprint reader, and don't need a nice camera/webcam on your smartphone, these cheap phones can be good enough for people who just want a basic smartphone for using a few basic apps, and for voice calls, basic low resolution video calls, and texting.

This $58 smartphone could be good for someone who just use a smartphone for making calls, text, basic web browsing, social networking, and using some basic apps like Maps, E-mail, and games like Tetris, Angry Birds, or Flappy birds.

This smartphone can be a good value for someone who previously owned a basic cell phone or an older smartphone like the iPhone 3GS, Firefox Phone, Windows Phone, Blackberry Classic, etc.

The version of Android on the phone is 6.0 which is still good to use. The phone has some nice features like removable battery, dual-sim, 5 inch 720P HD display, 1GB of RAM and a quad-core CPU.

I agree more expensive phones would be nicer to use. But, cheap phones are good for people who are on a tight budget, or just need a smartphone to use for less intensive tasks where a cheap phone could be good enough for them. If you don't want a phone with a fingerprint reader, and don't need a nice camera/webcam on your smartphone, these cheap phones can be good enough for people who just want a basic smartphone for using a few basic apps, and for voice calls, basic low resolution video calls, and texting.

This $58 smartphone could be good for someone who just use a smartphone for making calls, text, basic web browsing, social networking, and using some basic apps like Maps, E-mail, and games like Tetris, Angry Birds, or Flappy birds.

This smartphone can be a good value for someone who previously owned a basic cell phone or an older smartphone like the iPhone 3GS, Firefox Phone, Windows Phone, Blackberry Classic, etc.

The version of Android on the phone is 6.0 which is still good to use. The phone has some nice features like removable battery, dual-sim, 5 inch 720P HD display, 1GB of RAM and a quad-core CPU.
Uh..then I would go for a Verizon phone. By the way, I have heard the news that a girl lost her sight, as she played games on a cheap phone for more than 24 hours you know.

Uh..then I would go for a Verizon phone. By the way, I have heard the news that a girl lost her sight, as she played games on a cheap phone for more than 24 hours you know.

I think people should not play games for 24 hours. There have been people who died or became ill after gaming for many hours. I think it is best to take breaks between gaming sessions, and not play games for more than 1 hour.

Did she even take a break at all? If not that is just silly. Yes, I stayed up all night on a computer etc but I have taken a break ever now and then and yes I got like an hour or so sleep during the day as well.

Did she even take a break at all? If not that is just silly. Yes, I stayed up all night on a computer etc but I have taken a break ever now and then and yes I got like an hour or so sleep during the day as well.

I think there is a chance that she has a mental problem or addiction like alcoholism which is preventing her from stop gaming on her smartphone.

There maybe not much help for mobile game addicts who suffer from mobile gaming addiction in China where internet addicts are sent to a boot camp where patients have died from being abused by the workers at the boot camp according to China 'internet addict' death sparks fury

I think there is a chance that she has a mental problem or addiction like alcoholism which is preventing her from stop gaming on her smartphone.
That's sad to hear, even in Australia sometime it not easy to get the help that you need, there are waiting lists etc and it sucks badly

That's sad to hear, even in Australia sometime it not easy to get the help that you need, there are waiting lists etc and it sucks badly

I think North America has a similar situation where people with mental and addiction problems are on the street instead of getting psychological help.

Sometimes people with mental problems may need to pay a lot of money for mental health treatment if it is not covered by health insurance, or the mental patient don't want to be on a long wait list.

Being on a long wait list increases the risk not ever being cured if they wait too long, and harm themselves, harm others and end up in prison, or died from self-harm like drug addiction and alcholism.

There maybe not much help for mobile game addicts who suffer from mobile gaming addiction in China where internet addicts are sent to a boot camp where patients have died from being abused by the workers at the boot camp according to China 'internet addict' death sparks fury
Oh...well...I thought it's because of the poor resolution of the screen and all.
Never mind, I think she is from China.

Oh...well...I thought it's because of the poor resolution of the screen and all.
Never mind, I think she is from China.

I think the resolution of the screen may not affect people's eye health since a lot of adults in the past used flip phones, computers, and handhelds like the Gameboy Advance with low resolution screen for many hours a day, and their eyes are still working.

I think the resolution of the screen may not affect people's eye health since a lot of adults in the past used flip phones, computers, and handhelds like the Gameboy Advance with low resolution screen for many hours a day, and their eyes are still working.
Pretty much this, I mean look at the first TV that was out. What the resolution was back then is nothing compared to what we get today. And it, not just digital devices, what about photos and such printed?

Pretty much this, I mean look at the first TV that was out. What the resolution was back then is nothing compared to what we get today. And it, not just digital devices, what about photos and such printed?

The old tube TV from the 1990s had a NTSC resolution of
720 x 480 pixels in North America and a PAL 720 x 576 pixels in Europe and Asia. I think the picture quality was okay fir its time because analog TV was good enough to send a video at 480i without the need to compress the video where you see pixelated images like low resolution online video.

I remember people used to spend many hours watching old low resolution tube TVs before more poeople feared being fat/unhealthy from sitting a lot. Most people I know, who used an old tube TV and mpnitor, vision are still good enough to read and drive.

I think print resolution is still the best even if you use a cheap printer because the ink pixels are sprayed or burned/(laser printer toner) very closely together, or stamped with a stamp where you need a microscope to see the individual pixels.

The old tube TV from the 1990s had a NTSC resolution of
720 x 480 pixels in North America and a PAL 720 x 576 pixels in Europe and Asia.
To add a few things in, France and Russia were big supporters of SECAM back in the day, and so was a good portion of Africa.
And a good number of Asian countries used NTSC.

Also appears that larger South American countries were using PAL, and tiny European countries like Luxembourg and Andorra were using NTSC.

940px-PAL-NTSC-SECAM.svg.png

And another thing I would like to point out is that Japan originally used both standards; NTSC in the south, and PAL in the north.

Back