If you were transported 200 years into the past...

I think we could reach the technology we have today a lot quicker if the right people were willing to listen to someone who stated all of these things (should time travel become a reality). The thing is, you are most likely to be treated as a crazy person if you state the technology we have today to someone 200 years ago. I couldn't do it myself, but I could ask the right questions or whatever to those with more knowledge and get them looking into things (provided they are willing to listen) so I'd imagine the technology developments would happen a lot sooner.

I'm not really bright enough to remember enough to recreate things in the past :p

Let's see... I'd probably travel to Bobenheim, Germany, and cause Johannes Trump to have a, shall we say, "unfortunate accident" that renders him infertile, and therefore, his great-great grandson wouldn't exist.

Also, speaking of that family... did anyone know that Henry John Heinz (the founder of Heinz), was the grandson of Charlotte Louisa Trump of Kallstadt, and therefore, is the cousin of Donald's Trump's great-grandfather, and therefore, means Donald Trump is the first cousin three times removed of the founder of Heinz?

I can barely remember things that I learn't yesterday. I doubt I would be able to recreate anything useful :grin:. Although I might just come up with those little innovations that make life easier

I don't think I have enough knowledge (and that there would be enough available resources) to "invent" things. For you to create stuff, you'd have to have the money to invest in necessary equipment.

I should bring back schematics and diagrams for medicine. That would push humanity's medical efforts at least 200 years forward in the current timeline, so hey, probably cancer and other deadly illnesses would have probably been cured by then. I could easily get myself rich, but I think for humanity's sake, and evolution's sake, curing known diseases should be a top priority.

I'll do what the guy did in Hot Tub Time Machine. I'll create the first Google. I don't know how though, I'll hire smart people to do it for me. :grin:

So according to the stipulations you can't bring anything from the future back with you. (So no grabbing plans for things.) If you don't know how to do it already then you can't actually invent it. And using the "hire people" logic might not work. I mean 200 years ago things were vastly different. Electricity was not a thing. Computers did not exist. So, like IntoxNitram stated, if you start trying to talk about future tech that's common place it's only likely to confuse people and/or get you locked up. (Imagine if someone dropped in from the future to you and started going on about the latest quantum phase system. You'd probably have no idea what that is or does. And you'd probably dismiss them.)

I'd like to think that I could probably advance medicine some through basic education (I took a first aid course so that would likely advance things a bit). I understand the principles of electricity generation through use of dams and windmills (turning magnets around coiled copper) and those didn't really come about until 1830's.

I could also probably get things started on the automobile as I understand the basics. (The exact design of the camshaft might be an issue though... I'd probably need a fair bit of time on it.) This could also possibly transfer over to ship design too as they use diesel engines.

Beyond that I don't know enough about most other things to really pioneer them. (At least not off the top of my head.)

So according to the stipulations you can't bring anything from the future back with you. (So no grabbing plans for things.) If you don't know how to do it already then you can't actually invent it. And using the "hire people" logic might not work. I mean 200 years ago things were vastly different. Electricity was not a thing. Computers did not exist. So, like IntoxNitram stated, if you start trying to talk about future tech that's common place it's only likely to confuse people and/or get you locked up. (Imagine if someone dropped in from the future to you and started going on about the latest quantum phase system. You'd probably have no idea what that is or does. And you'd probably dismiss them.)

I'd like to think that I could probably advance medicine some through basic education (I took a first aid course so that would likely advance things a bit). I understand the principles of electricity generation through use of dams and windmills (turning magnets around coiled copper) and those didn't really come about until 1830's.

I could also probably get things started on the automobile as I understand the basics. (The exact design of the camshaft might be an issue though... I'd probably need a fair bit of time on it.) This could also possibly transfer over to ship design too as they use diesel engines.

Beyond that I don't know enough about most other things to really pioneer them. (At least not off the top of my head.)

Given how we're situated today vs 200 years ago, we would more likely believe someone from the future now than then.

I probably invent a way to grow organic natural food faster, and a water filter to quickly and cheaply clean water, so it is safe to drink.

Honestly, I wouldn't know what to do.

I would probably panic and create havoc instead of dong anything useful.....but may be it can fun too.

If I was transported 200 years in the past, I'd probably do some of the things they were doing back then that we aren't doing now. I definitely don't have plans of warning them or letting them change their ways for the future because we cannot undo what has already been done now. If for example we know that mankind will be producing weapons of mass destruction, its useless warning them about not making any arms because it won't make sense. But if I see some old scenery like a still unpolluted meadow in France near the Seine or wherever, I'd probably relish the place and the ambiance and eat the good stuffs they had then before returning back to the present time.

Back