IGN caught stealing content?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Well, this was an interesting situation:

https://twitter.com/FinalMacstorm/status/710550401116938240

Apparently, their Spanish team got caught stealing a review from a site called RP Gamer, translating it into Spanish and claiming they'd wrote it. As you can guess, the reactions were... not particularly pleasant online.

But hey, give credit where it's due, they responded in a pretty mature way:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/710553046615326721

Immediately afterwards, the review was taken down:

http://es.ign.com/legend-of-heroes-...d-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-analisis-par

So yeah, shame on them for stealing; a journalist shouldn't remain employed if they plagiarise other people's work. But hey, also congrats on them for responding quickly and in a civil way, and getting the stolen piece offline immediately.

What do you think?

Wow, things happened pretty quick. Glad it was taken off shortly. This is sadly something that happens way too effing often. Twenty years ago it was easier to get scot free because the Internet were still segregated to their own languages so it was harder to spot and to prove the claims. It was rude but people were more willing to shrug their shoulders. Now I am honestly surprised people really think that they can get away with this crap. There are so many bi and poli-linguals around that it just silly to even think you can get away with it. Specially using two of the most spoken languages in a major outlet.

It is honestly something so petty, shameful and disrespectful from the individual that tried to pass it as their own. I hope this person career is burned for a while and blacklisted in other journalism outers. Who'd think this person was going to actually risk doing something this lazy while working for IGN? Duuuuude.

Sadly this just keeps making IGN sink more and more in the list of other viewers. It is a frigging joke. I was reading in Meristation where they have some screenshots of the tweets and it is even more embarrassing. S-IGN tried first to turn things around saying they published theirs three days before. I also learned the twitter handle of the guy, but he has since deleted his twitter account.

Considering the plans for this place, we better be with the eyes wide open so this kind of crap doesn't fly by.

If things can go wrong they will go wrong. Seriously I don't see how hard it is to make a review. Do they have the resources needed to make a review?* Obviously they do. Even without the game you can still watch anything at all related to the game with the exception that the game hasn't been released yet but the game has been released. Either the Spanish team got really lazy or they don't fully understand the mechanics of said game. In both cases this job is not suited for them. On a similar note is Turnitin effective in terms of detecting plagiarism even if it is translated from another language?
*rhetorical question

Back