Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music

update 3/16/16: Installing a 2 TB HDD: https://gaminglatest.com/threads/the-best-option-for-upgrading-ps4-hard-drive.78519/

PS4 will be sold soon in a few days and with a default 500GB HDD in it and with game sizes ranging between 70-90GB, at best you can only install 10 or less PS4 games on your PS4. Internet pending it could make it a hassle in replying those games as you delete some to make room for new ones. Since Sony isn't allowing PS4 owners to use external memory storage, you must upgrade the internet storage and luckily the process is simple as pie.

In the above video it's fully shown how to upgrade the internal memory and setting up the PS4 after it, though not mention it is recommended to be grounded (as in no static in your body) before you start handling anything so you don't damage anything. The people in the video use SSD instead of HDD and SSD shows faster loading, just keep in mind SDD is three times more expensive than HDD. If you plan to be a serious longtime PS4 fan, then the wise choice would be to use SSD than HDD.

Let us know in the comments below if you will or did upgrade and say how it went.

Last edited:
I can see how this can be very useful. Is there any size limits on SSD that you can install?

It kind of stinks that Sony uses Laptop hard drives which sometimes are slower since many of them run at 5400 RPM instead of 7200RPM-10000RPM like bigger hard drives on desktop PCs and powered external hard drives.

I also think those bigger hard drives last longer because they don't get as hot because there is more metal on them to cool the drive compared to laptop drives.

Good share. I don't get why Sony didn't go with the SSD in the first place. You would theink they're looking for every advantage they can get over Microsoft. 

Likely because of 2 reasons...

1-  The cost of SSD vs traditional HDD for a 500GB drive.  (The cheapest SSDs are about $220 more than the cheapest HDD. A factor which would drive PS4 costs up by likely $200. Which would certainly make the PS4 faster than the xbox one... But it'd also make it easily $100 more expensive. And anything too much over 400$ is tougher to sell.)
The only way they would have put an SSD in and keep the cost low would be to use a smaller SSD but that would also mean how much stored on the system would be limited. (And when games install 30+GB at a time? You might only get 2-3 games on a small SSD. Not to mention some space would be reserved for the OS.)

2- They allow users to easily replace the HDD so if they wanted to slide in a SSD they could. 

Guardian said:
Good share. I don't get why Sony didn't go with the SSD in the first place. You would think they're looking for every advantage they can get over Microsoft. 

I think Sony is trying to target teens to adults with less money, so a SSD would make the PS4 more expensive. However, if the PS4 controller did not have a touchpad, speaker, and other optional non-gaming features were left out, the price maybe about the same with a SSD.

A Hybrid hard drive with a built-in SSD in the hard drive can be bought online for $75 for a 500GB drive, so if the PS4 use a Hybrid hard drive, the price would not be much more compared to using a regular hard drive.

Maybe a special edition PS4 like a PS4 for Gran Turismo, or another fast pace game will come with a SSD to relate to the high speed theme of a racing, flying, and fighting game where a slower hard drive may make fast pace racing, flying, and fighting less fun.

I think some of the Steam Machines with Valve's Steam OS would come with Hybrid hard drive with SSDs, and SSD drives.

Valid arguments, definitely. I do like the special edition idea, I think that would be an easier sell and give it a competitive advantage. Idk, I think the more we use the expensive technology and advance in it the cheaper it will all be in the end. 

Guardian said:
Valid arguments, definitely. I do like the special edition idea, I think that would be an easier sell and give it a competitive advantage. Idk, I think the more we use the expensive technology and advance in it the cheaper it will all be in the end. 
I agree the more we use expensive technology, and advances, the cheaper tech. will be in the future like how faster PCs are cheaper now because more companies like AMD, Intel, Nvidia, and MSI make parts for PC because there are a lot of buyers for RAM, bigger hard drives, faster CPUs, and video cards. 

But, I feel consoles will always be slower than PCs made in the same year. Consoles also may be slower than high end tablets when more expensive mobile tech reaches PC speeds like iPad 5 Air now has a 64bit CPU, 2048x1536 pixel resolution screen, uses solid state Flash memory, a GPU which is 70% faster than the iPad 4, 10 hour battery life, HD camera, and fast Wi-Fi.

It maybe difficult to keep consoles costing $400 in the future, but offer better performance than other gaming alternative where most buyers of Gaming PC and mobile devices are willing to pay more money, or save money by building a Gaming PC for better performance, newer tech, and advances for $100-300 hundreds dollars more than consoles.

I read on Gamestop that a $149 video card from Nvidia GTX 750Ti plays Titanfall better than the Xbox One, so if you already own a 2013-2014 $400-500 PC, and upgrade to a $149 GTX 750 Ti or similar AMD video card, you spend less money than buying a Xbox One, and copy of Titan Fall to play it.

is that all? they only did that as a profit, to get more people to buy more memory. As if the PS4 wasn't expensive enough already. xD

I like that this is possible on the PS4. I personally probably won't need to be expanding my hard drive soon, but it is very handy for hardcore gamers who play a lot games. Also like the fact that there aren't really any limitations to the storage device you want to use.

I put a 1TB drive in my PS4. Its a Samsung 1TB 5400rpm drive and I got it from Newegg. Installing it was a pretty straight forward process like the video shows. And so far I haven't had a single problem after the install. 

Greg

I upgraded the size of my PS3 pretty easily so I'm glad they made the PS4 size upgradable. However, I haven't really needed to at all. I have a few games downloaded and installed on my PS4 and I have tons of space left still. However, I think eventually I'll either expand the hard drive or get some sort of external dedicated to the PS4.

Demon_Skeith said:
did you put in HDD or SSD?
It's just a regular Hard Drive, a 1GB SSD is about $500 and its way out of my price range. I am poor I only paid $84 for the 1GB hard drive.

P.S. I know poor and video games don't mix, which is why I have to choose my games wisely. Because I don't get to buy many of them.

Greg

Stained Hero said:
It's just a regular Hard Drive, a 1GB SSD is about $500 and its way out of my price range. I am poor I only paid $84 for the 1GB hard drive.

P.S. I know poor and video games don't mix, which is why I have to choose my games wisely. Because I don't get to buy many of them.

Greg
going online or only buying used games can still get you plenty of titles to play.

I personally like the HDDs because they are easier to get. My PS3 had a 120 GB HDD stock and it ran out of space, so I simpily took a spare 500GB HDD from a broken PC and it worked great and fast with no problems.

Back