Is a USB CD/DVD-ROM disc drive useful for playing games on a computer with less Storage Space?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Yes, I think a USB Disc drive can be useful for computers with less storage space. Some PC games like Warcraft 3 let you play games from a disc if you bought the game from a physical retail store.

Even if the game needs to be installed from the disc, gamers don't need to download a huge installer file from Steam, and can use the disc to install a game. Game installer files can use up a lot of space on a computer with less storage space, so using the physical disc version of a game can help save a lot of time, and space on a laptop with less storage space.

I think games will become way too big one day and will have to come in a CD or USB.

I think games will become way too big one day and will have to come in a CD or USB.

I agree, games will most likely will be way to big one day where you need to get them on disc or USB.

Current Dual-Layer Blu-Ray disc can hold 50GB of files. I read on ExtremeTech that Sony and Panasonic are working on a 1TB next-gen Blu-Ray disc.

I think USB may not be popular in the near future for selling physical games because gamers don't want to pay an extra $20-100 for a larger storage size USB hard drive or flash drive which are still expensive.

The CD/DVD simply stores the installation files but they must be copied to the HDD or SSD to be played. Playing directly off the disc would be impossible, esp. via USB due to the amount of I/O and graphics.

I think games will soon come in read only USB 3.0 thumb drives, or simply have a code to download. Internet speeds have gotta into the gigabit range now-a-days.

As for saving space on your PC, the concept of game streaming makes much more sense. Several leading companies have already rolled this out such as Sony, Origin, and Gamefly.

The CD/DVD simply stores the installation files but they must be copied to the HDD or SSD to be played. Playing directly off the disc would be impossible, esp. via USB due to the amount of I/O and graphics.

I think games will soon come in read only USB 3.0 thumb drives, or simply have a code to download. Internet speeds have gotta into the gigabit range now-a-days.

As for saving space on your PC, the concept of game streaming makes much more sense. Several leading companies have already rolled this out such as Sony, Origin, and Gamefly.

Users don't need extra storage to download the installation file, and install the game after downloading the install file, so there is more space savings when using a disc to install a game to a hard drive.

Some PC disc games like Warcraft 3 use the CD for playing disc PC games. The games are temporarily loaded to the hard drive and RAM when a new level or map is loaded. Older consoles like the PS2, and Xbox 360 arcade can play games off a disc without the need of any hard drive, so some PC games maybe able to run off a disc, but the load times maybe a little bit slower.

A 16X Blu-Ray disc can read the disc at 72 MB per seconds according to Blu-ray Disc recordable - Wikipedia . 72 MB/s is faster than most internet connections around the world.

I think some older hard drives are 50 MB/s and faster read speed, and slow down when you haven't defrag your hard drive in a long time, and when the drive is almost full.

All the games I have on CD/DVD install fully to my HDD and require the disc to play only so you don't pirate. I've never seen a modern game actually play off the disc. Besides, I download all my games now anyway from places like Steam or Origin and plan on getting Gamefly streaming once I get my new Fire TV box.

All the games I have on CD/DVD install fully to my HDD and require the disc to play only so you don't pirate. I've never seen a modern game actually play off the disc. Besides, I download all my games now anyway from places like Steam or Origin and plan on getting Gamefly streaming once I get my new Fire TV box.

I think a lot of modern games like Grand Theft Auto 5 for PC come with 7 disc, so the only way to play the game is to install them on a hard drive.

Steam is a good way of getting games because of the nice sales, good prices, and free to play games like Dota 2.

Back