Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
for the past few weeks I have noticed that my tower's fan seems to be louder then usual. and at times I will hear a deeper hum come from it as well while the fan is going and will hear it for a few seconds. Is this anything to be concerned about or is it that my computer is just getting old (which is 2 or 3 years old)

I think as long as your fan is spinning quickly and your computer does not over heat then it is fine since fans tend to make more sound after time.

If it is a very whinny sound then it is something to be concerned about.

I'm going to conclude that the loud noise is the comp telling me it needs cleaning. So does anybody have tips on cleaning the inside of a computer tower? (like the fan, power box, ect.)

Use compress air, but only in short bursts of air since if you spray Compress air too fast it might wear out the bearings. Do it outside if possible since you would not want dust to be flying all over your room if there is a lot.

You should spray your CPU fan, Power supply fan, and case fans, and other areas of the PC for dust.

Avoid using a vacuum since it has a lot of static electrcity when on.

QUOTE (froggyboy604 @ August 20, 2009 01:30 pm) Use compress air, but only in short bursts of air since if you spray Compress air too fast it might wear out the bearings. Do it outside if possible since you would not want dust to be flying all over your room if there is a lot.

You should spray your CPU fan, Power supply fan, and case fans, and other areas of the PC for dust.

Avoid using a vacuum since it has a lot of static electrcity when on.
I was planning on using a vacuum to suck out the dust that fell to the bottom part of the tower, would that be alright?

You can remove the fan from the PC, and there is a sticker on the bottom or top you can peel off and there is a tiny hole for puting a drop of oil Like Sewing machine oil, or a thin light oil into like skateboard bearing oil into.

You need a screw driver to remove the screws to the fan. Be careful not to Stab your motherboard or any other device, and make sure the air is blowing in the right direction when you reinstall the fan, and the fan is plugged in if you removed the fan.

Add a drop of oil into it, and use your finger to spin the fan a few times, and reapply the sticker, or use tape to cover up the hole at the bottum.

This post on another forum might help http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-5...ystem-fans.html

As your computer gets older. I have noticed that the fan has to work harder to keep it cool.
winking0056.gif

QUOTE (Stosh @ August 24, 2009 12:56 pm) As your computer gets older. I have noticed that the fan has to work harder to keep it cool.
winking0056.gif

It also depends on what quality of fan you are using.

I like Vantec fans since they are pretty high quality. It uses double-ball bearings for the fan which mean it should last for years if I properly mantain it on a regular basis.

Cheaper sleeve bearings fans start out quiet, but end up wearing quicker then ball-bearing fans.

The highest quality fans are maglev bearing fans.

QUOTE Maglev case fans are the best since they use a magnetic barometric bearing for a completely frictionless and noiseless operation. The ENLOBAL bearing allows the shaft of the fan to ride suspended on air, or rather a magnetic flux.

Source:: http://www.xoxide.com/enermax-marathon-enlobal-fan-80mm.html

Back