PS4 Is remote play worth buying a ps4 for?

blackcats

Banned
Credits
Hi all,

I'm tossing up between a ps4 and an xbone at the moment. This wouldn't normally be a situation I would find myself in - I'm a halo kid - but the potential of remote play on the ps4 has me reconsidering my usual default pick. I live in a flat with some friends who aren't gamers, so I can't really take over the living room for some dragon age unless they are all out. Remote play would open up soooooo much more gaming time for me.

So my question is this - is it any good? I mean, does it work? I know the verge just published an article on remote play with smart phones, but I would probably use a vita (old one, not the slim). Anyone have any experience with remote play, vita or otherwise?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard it's pretty great, but yea, you would have to use a Vita. I've seen some ways to do it on iOS etc but I'm not sure how functional it is. I have not personally tried it out because I do not own a Vita, but the wireless functionality between the PS4 and my smart phone for example, are pretty great. I miss Halo, and I like the idea of being able to play my free games on the same console, rather than my PS3 and my PS4 versus the 360 and One being on the same console, but that's my only peeves at the moment. I'm waiting for the new 4.0 firmware. :p

For it to work best you would need a PS Vita and as to what console you should get I just recommend getting whatever you feel will get the most use out of.

I feel certain games like RPGs won't be enjoyable on the Vita's smaller screen and speakers which are not as loud as a TV when played with remote play on a Vita. If your roommates are not gamers, you can move your console to your room, or hook up your console to a separate TV since your roommate are not gamers, so they won't be actively using your console for gaming most of the time. I also think it is a good idea to store a console in my own room to prevent other people from damaging my console if they accidentally spilled food and drinks on it or push it over.

It maybe worth it to save up a few hundred dollars to buy a 15 inch or bigger TV for gaming on, or use a monitor with HDMI video connection for gaming on which is a better experience than gaming on a handheld gaming console's screen.

I also feel there is a chance that Sony may not support or remove Remote Play in the future if not enough people use it like how Sony discontinued the Other OS feature on the PS3 which let people install Linux operating systems on the PS3.

Last edited:
Back