Is the Nintendo Switch a Mini console or Gaming tablet?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think the Nintendo Switch is more like a gaming tablet because the dock for the Switch is mainly used for charging the Switch's handheld tablet, and the TV dock is also used to connect the Switch tablet to a TV. All the games on the Switch are also played on the tablet rather inserted into the TV dock like a PS4 or Xbox One.

But, I can see some people categorizing the Nintendo Switch as a mini console because it is smaller than the Wii U, Wii, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles.

Last edited:
I wouldn't categorize this as a "mini console". This just doesn't fit what I would call a "mini console", I"m sorry. The gaming tablet thing, I can see where they get that.

I wouldn't categorize this as a "mini console". This just doesn't fit what I would call a "mini console", I"m sorry. The gaming tablet thing, I can see where they get that.

I think some gamers may categorize the Switch as a handheld console like the Sony Vita. People who are not gamers will think the Switch is a tablet with a bundled controller and TV accessory like iPads where you can use an Apple TV, Chromecast, TV settop and charging box, Lightning to HDMI adapter cable for easily connecting an iPad to a TV, and use a wireless controller to play games while the iPad is connected to a TV with an accessory like an Apple TV.

If the Switch's TV accessory was smaller like a size of a can of soda, and also play games without the tablet, it would look more like a mini-console.

A handheld console is more of what I would call it if I am honest over a tablet but then I am a gamer and see it that way. I guess it really depends on how you look at it and see it there is no wrong or right answer.

I like to think its a hybrid of both really. But its more of a suit up tablet than anything else really.

I like to think its a hybrid of both really. But its more of a suit up tablet than anything else really.

I agree that it is most like a tablet because it has a touchscreen and a rectangular screen like the iPad and other tablets.

I think some people may think of the Switch as a combo or all-in-one device which combines a tablet, and game console into one device.

It is disappointing that the Switch's advertisements does not mention that the tablet has HDMI ports on the tablet. Almost all tablets except iPad these days have a HDMI port to connect it to a HDMI TV or monitor. The Sony PSP 2000 also has a video output cable for connecting it to a TV with component video inputs.

It's a home console/handheld console hybrid, like it's being advertised as.

A tablet kind of implies it can do more things than just play certain games.

A handheld console is more of what I would call it if I am honest over a tablet but then I am a gamer and see it that way. I guess it really depends on how you look at it and see it there is no wrong or right answer.

I think that's a good way to look at it, Shortie861. Everyone is going to have their own view point on this matter.

It's a home console/handheld console hybrid, like it's being advertised as.

A tablet kind of implies it can do more things than just play certain games.

There is a possibility that the Switch would have some non-gaming apps like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Web browsers, and other types of apps, so it is not just for gaming.

But, Nintendo may restrict the Switch App categories to gaming and entertainment apps, so there won't be apps like word processors, calculators, video chat, and photo editing apps like traditional tablets like the iPad.

I agree that it is most like a tablet because it has a touchscreen and a rectangular screen like the iPad and other tablets.

I think some people may think of the Switch as a combo or all-in-one device which combines a tablet, and game console into one device.

It is disappointing that the Switch's advertisements does not mention that the tablet has HDMI ports on the tablet. Almost all tablets except iPad these days have a HDMI port to connect it to a HDMI TV or monitor. The Sony PSP 2000 also has a video output cable for connecting it to a TV with component video inputs.

I believe the HDMI has to happen via the docking station.

I believe the HDMI has to happen via the docking station.

Hopefully, Nintendo release a smaller adapter or video cable to give the Switch HDMI since carrying around the full size dock, cables, and other stuff is less convenient for bringing in a small suitcase or bag when traveling to a place with a TV like a hotel room or class room with a TV.

Back