Is the XBox headed for a permanent decline?

Will the next generation XBox system match the Sony PS5 in performance

• Yes, the XBox One was only a temporary setback

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No, Sony has leapt ahead and will stay ahead for the forseeable future

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

My3Sons_NJ

Full GL Member
Credits
I happen to own both the XBox 360 and XBox One and, while the XBox 360 was a great success with both an abundance of quality and variety of games, the XBox One was a disappointment (hello, Halo: Master Chief Collection) and is inferior to the current version of the PS4. Is the XBox One a one-time blip like Microsoft Window Vista or arethe problems that plagued the XBox One more structural in nature causing the XBox to eventually go the way of the Sega system.

I like to think so, Microsoft announced upgraded hardware despite their software extremely lacking.

None of us can predict the future of course, but here in the UK I do think that Sony have got the upper hand on Microsoft, and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Microsoft could come out with a console that's twice as powerful as a PlayStation 4 and Xbox ONE put together, but I just think now that people trust Sony more than what they do Microsoft.

Just a setback, the PS2 was possibly the most successful console yet the 360 seemed to dominate the last generation even with the RRoD plague. Scorpio might close the gap, maybe just reestablish good will, but even if they have to wait a for the this generation to wane and the next-gen they'll be fine.

I think the Xbox will get more game console buyers when MS release better games which gamers want to play.

I would say that Sony has been leading the gaming console industry for a while now. The PlayStation has been getting better game selections every year. This is most likely because the PS4's games are more thrilling to play. In my opinion, the games released only to the PS4, are more original than most games on the Xbox. The PS4 network is also more sophisticated than the the Xbox Live.

I'm not an Xbox fanboy (quite the opposite actually), but I seriously doubt Xbox will all of a sudden dissolve and disappear. I predict that by the next generation of consoles, Xbox will be back on par with Sony. And in fact, I also predict they might even pull ahead.

The problem is that the gaming experience is definitely inferior when comparing the XBox One vs the PS4. I believe that after buying all three XBox platforms and all four Sony PS platforms, I might bypass buying the next gen XBox. As for Windows 10, the Windows 8 disaster pushed a lot of consumers into buying tablets that run either the Android or Apple OS so the vast majority of consumers will either be non-gamers or commercial enterprises, both of which won't give two hoots about the Scorpio.

Microsoft is transitioning slowly and surely into an IBM-type company with an emphasis on commercial enterprise software and other software packages (Microsoft Office and Exchange software). This indicates that the XBox will be, at best, third in the list of priorities for Microsoft and the lack of prioritization on their gaming division manifested itself in the disappointing XBox One. A "jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none" gaming console.

This is actually really hard, especially because the xbox 360 dominated the market when it came to the ps3 and ps2, but the xbox one is such a huge flop and i don't really understand why. They made all these unnecessarily complicated changes to the xbox, whereas they should've stuck to the cool simple design of the 360. Hopefully they pull through and dominate once more next time.

This is actually really hard, especially because the xbox 360 dominated the market when it came to the ps3 and ps2, but the xbox one is such a huge flop and i don't really understand why. They made all these unnecessarily complicated changes to the xbox, whereas they should've stuck to the cool simple design of the 360. Hopefully they pull through and dominate once more next time.
Microsoft tends to innovate to a certain extent and once they gain a sizeable enough base of customers, they tend to reduce innovation on their product in favor of trying to integrate it with their existing product line to try and 'upsell' you on additional features and capabilities that really are only tangentially related to the gaming system or its quality of play.

I like to think so, Microsoft announced upgraded hardware despite their software extremely lacking.
The lack of software could be considered almost a death blow no matter how improved the hardware is. This is reminiscent of the VHS-Betamax wars of the early 1980s where Betamax was considered to have the vastly superior hardware (and it did) but VHS was able to win by having the most and best movie titles (software) along with better advertising to win and become the dominant video player for nearly a decade.

The Scorpio is more then twice as powerful graphically then the NEO. That is well known. As far as not trusting Microsoft, how many PC are in most homes and the chances of them upgrading to Windows 10 is highly likely. Microsoft will be bridging the gap between console and home pc with windows 10. When you buy a game on Scorpio or PC, you can play it for either one. People may say that PS4 is in more homes then ONE. Well windows operating systems are in majority of home PCs.

That maybe so, but we're not talking about computers, we're talking about consoles and that's a totally different thing. While I understand what your saying, at the same time the Playstation 4 as outsold the Xbox ONE consistently now here in the UK for quite a while and the fact that most people have a Microsoft Windows PC and have done for a number of years hasn't made a difference so why would it make a difference in the future?

That maybe so, but we're not talking about computers, we're talking about consoles and that's a totally different thing. While I understand what your saying, at the same time the Playstation 4 as outsold the Xbox ONE consistently now here in the UK for quite a while and the fact that most people have a Microsoft Windows PC and have done for a number of years hasn't made a difference so why would it make a difference in the future?
That is a very good point and even more pertinent now since Microsoft's Windows division has largely been stagnant (in growth) over the past few years. The Windows OS is quite bloated and for a medium/high-end PC, this fact isn't a problem, but it doesn't translate as well to a video game console so there is not as much synergy between the two products as it would seem at first sight.

Xbox isn't headed for a permanent decline and PS's takeover is proof that it isn't and here's why. The 360 sold more than the PS3 in NA but this go around, since PS4 is the partially stronger system people preferred it and Don mattrick was fired (He was the president of the Xbox division.) He was the reason Xbox One suffered so much at the start of it's life span. He practically turned it into a TV watching machine instead of a gaming one, but ever since he was fired Phil spencer took over and positive things have been happening since then.

Not only that, but I dare say Xbox Scorpio will be stronger than the PS4-Neo and will lead console gaming into true 4K. Stronger hardware and specs = More potential, better performance, graphics, resolution etc. Just an all around better machine so likely once the Scorpio comes out, people will switch over to it but only time will tell. Hardware and performance is the reason why PS4 stole the show from Xbox to begin with but only did so astoundingly because more and more people are getting into console gaming. Both consoles are selling better than ever.

Back