Is there a reason why there are so many dead parents in anime\manga?

Claraviolet

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Unlock full profile styling
I really don't get this.
I am not sure why the main protagonist's parents die most of the time. Do you think it's for the encouragement?

I think a lot of animes like to remain kid focused, for whatever reason.

I think it’s because most of the famous shows are in the shonen or shojo demographics. It’s only been fairly recent for light novels and the older manga demographics to get anime adaptations.
I do have to agree with this.
They tend to be kid focused as the kids don't want to see parents telling them what they should do or shouldn't do. Teenagers. ... *Sigh

That's what I can't get my head around. Why though?

Anyway maybe it's part of it and they should.

Maybe they think it adds to the story. It's like how a lot of Disney films have a somewhat sad plot at some point that pulls at your heartstrings and makes you enjoy the movie even more

Sometimes the anime does it to give the protagonist freedom. So they don't have parents telling them not to do something. Or, in some cases, stopping them. Especially in any anime where fighting or combat will be involved as the inherent danger would make a parent balk at sending their child. Or in any kind of harem anime where the main character will find themselves in "questionable" circumstances.

Alternatively, they take the parents out of the equation because otherwise they would do whatever the main would. I mean would you rather a 14 year old saving the world or the 36 year old parent who maybe has some actual life skills. (EX- Navy Seal Dad versus bad guys instead of kid vs bad guys.)

Sometimes the anime does it to give the protagonist freedom. So they don't have parents telling them not to do something. Or, in some cases, stopping them. Especially in any anime where fighting or combat will be involved as the inherent danger would make a parent balk at sending their child. Or in any kind of harem anime where the main character will find themselves in "questionable" circumstances.

Alternatively, they take the parents out of the equation because otherwise they would do whatever the main would. I mean would you rather a 14 year old saving the world or the 36 year old parent who maybe has some actual life skills. (EX- Navy Seal Dad versus bad guys instead of kid vs bad guys.)
Parents look out for their children and nothing more.
I believe they make them better

I'd say that half of the time its actually part of the plot for a dramatic effect and/or to explain the character's personality/dreams/goals.

I do have to agree with this.
They tend to be kid focused as the kids don't want to see parents telling them what they should do or shouldn't do. Teenagers. ... *Sigh

That can actually be an interesting plot element done properly. In MHA, Deku's mom didn't want him moving into the dorms 'cause he got hurt on multiple occasions in a school setting. I thought it was nice seeing this side of the story.

maybe its more on character development rather than story... ? I guess the makers of the anime series try to avoid emphasis on this and would rather focus on main character(s)...? I'm not sure but that is what i'm guessing. haha

Back