JKF_3DS-640x320.jpg

Title: Johnny Kung-Fu​
Release date: Jul, 12 2012 (US)​
Category: Action, Adventure​
Publisher: UFO Interactive​
Format: eShop​
Price: $5.99​

Game Overview:

Johnny Kung Fu is an old school action game that mixes the old with the new! Johnny Kung Fu puts you into the Kung Fu garb of a seemingly everyday man Johnny. The local organized crime group Mr. Wang, led by the mysterious man known as Mr. Wang, seems to have a bone to pick with Johnny and has captured his girlfriend Paula. Knowing that an ambush awaits him, Johnny chases the kidnappers into one of Mr. Wang’s hideout towers regardless. Will Johnny be able to save Paula? Or will the Mr. Wang Gang prevail?

Graphics:

The game features three types of graphics. Old school Game & Watch type:
johnny-kung-fu-004.jpg

Simple yet they nailed that old school feel.

Full color with 3D effect added
JKF_SS_002.jpg

The art style is simplistic and the colors are brilliant, they try to emulate the 80's era I think. Fighting effect are added to each hit and the 3D effect are almost missing.

And the Hybrid a mix of full color and old school
JKF_SS_005.jpg

There are several examples of this one and each of them give that old school feel in the somewhat newer theme.

GamePlay:

Each stage have it's own play style.

The old School is a one frame per second like handhelds of old. You move left and right and one action bottom. That's it.
The full modern style gives you full control of Johnny and let you jump, do combos jump to the background and back to the foreground and all that stuff. But moving Johnny around still feels kinda robotic and not so fluent. Once you start a combo chain you wont be able to move the the opposite direction till the frame is over or you jump or get hit in the process.

To beat this game (which I haven't done, YET) you have to climb to the highest floor of the building to rescue your girlfriend. How many floor there are? I have no idea, but you will have a timer that is set to one hour. Each time you get a game over (you get three lives each) five minutes will be reduced on each continue. Once the time ends so does your adventure. After that is back to the beginning.

Saying this game is old school also bought with it the reputation of being hard. Some levels will be easy to beat but some other will get tricky with the randomness of encounters.

The stages will start seeing repetitive but with increased difficulty.

Replay Value:

You will be dying a lot and will have to make more than a few runs to beat this game. But there are several moves and modes to unlock during your adventure. Trying to beat this game with the fastest time will keep you busy. (that's if you can beat it and not delete this game out of frustration)

Conclusion:

This game is recommended for those who loved this old style games, for the nostalgia value or for those looking for a simple game that will challenge them.

I give Johnny Kung-Fu 3 Golden Nintendans out of five and a cookie, cause EVERYONE loves cookies.
GoldenNintenDan.png
GoldenNintenDan.png
GoldenNintenDan.png
ZexisCookieAward.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The title should be Name of the game (Console)--(Rating).
Also, does the cookie count as 4 stars, or is it 3 XD?

That title isn't required.

And I think a cookie isn't quite as important as a golden statue, so I'd say it's a 3.5

That title isn't required.

And I think a cookie isn't quite as important as a golden statue, so I'd say it's a 3.5

Oh really?
http://nintendo3dsco...-review-bucket/

I quote:
"3. Name your topic appropriately!
This is a super easy rule. Once you've finished writing, you'll want to make a topic to showcase your work! When creating a topic to put your review in, make sure it follows these guidelines:

[GAME TITLE (GAME CONSOLE)] [SCORE OUT OF 10]"
Point.Proven.

Oh, and by saying a cookie isn't as important as a NintenDan, you're insulting Zexis T_T

But yea... you're probably right.

Oh, and BoT: I really think you should finish the game before making a review.
The review is great, but maybe something happens end game that changes the whole game upside down?
For example:
If I wouldn't get past Medusa in Kid Icarus; Uprising, I probably would think the storyline is dull.
If I wouldn't get past the eight world in Super Mario 3D Land; I would probably call it WAYY too short.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back