Just got a Switch - What are some basic do's and don'ts?

Dan The Man

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Just got the console, only opened the box to put the screen protector on the little thing, then put it right back inside the box. Haven't powered it up yet nor checked what's inside since literally just came back home.

What are some things I should take into consideration? I know I'm using a US account for sure and the Switch is staying docked most of the time, basically 99% of the time. Any other stuff I should take into account when setting up the console? I used to have a NNID from my 3DS days, but I haven't used it in so long, am I going to be asked for it when setting up my account?

I've been nervous about taking my Switch outside my home since I got mine. I only take it somewhere if I know where I'm going and I trust the people there. I don't know what all my hubby did when he set my Switch up though. I'd have to ask him.

You don't need a NNID unless you want to link your 3DS balance with your Switch I believe.

You only need a Nintendo Account for your Switch.

You should consider buying a pro controller if you're going to spend most of your time playing in dock mode. I personally prefer joycons for handheld mode because I absolutely can't play that game with joycons for TV mode.

Don't just ram the Switch in the dock when connecting it to your TV. Place it in calmly because you can scratch your Switch screen like that, but your screen protector might protect it since you've already placed it on it.

You don't need a NNID unless you want to link your 3DS balance with your Switch I believe.

You only need a Nintendo Account for your Switch.

You should consider buying a pro controller if you're going to spend most of your time playing in dock mode. I personally prefer joycons for handheld mode because I absolutely can't play that game with joycons for TV mode.

Don't just ram the Switch in the dock when connecting it to your TV. Place it in calmly because you can scratch your Switch screen like that, but your screen protector might protect it since you've already placed it on it.

oh damn, I forgot about the pro controller. I need to get myself to order that.

Just got the console, only opened the box to put the screen protector on the little thing, then put it right back inside the box. Haven't powered it up yet nor checked what's inside since literally just came back home.

What are some things I should take into consideration? I know I'm using a US account for sure and the Switch is staying docked most of the time, basically 99% of the time. Any other stuff I should take into account when setting up the console? I used to have a NNID from my 3DS days, but I haven't used it in so long, am I going to be asked for it when setting up my account?

What screen protector did you get?

I don't listen to reviews anyway. Usually I like things that other people hate and I don't like things that the critics love.

A screen protector is probably a good idea. The pro controller is probably a good idea if you prefer the old fashioned directional buttons.

Back