Korean Gamer Gets Smash Happy

Liv6

Awards
Credits
A South Korean gamer named XBOX∞ is infinitely not happy. Today, he uploaded a post titled, “I got a sledge hammer. Message for Microsoft Korea.” The gamer was upset about the Batman: Arkham Knight Korean localization. Or rather, the lack thereof.

“Arkham Knight for PS4 got an official localized release while the Xbox One version didn’t,” XBOX∞ told Cnet Korea (via tipster Sang). “I just couldn’t stand it anymore as even the Batman game I really liked wasn’t localized.”

In his original Ruliweb post, which featured the smashed up photos, XBOX∞ rattled off a handful of big name Xbox One titles that don’t have Korean localization (or haven’t gotten an official localization announcement), including Forza Horizon 2, Project Spark, Sunset Overdrive, The Evil Within, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, and Batman: Arkham Knight. Some of these games, obviously, are Xbox One exclusives! The multi-platform titles were released in Korean on the PS4, causing further consternation for the country’s Xbox One owners.

But, what’s worse is how these releases seem to have been handled. So, for example, Forza Horizon 2 was apparently announced as a Korean language title, but was released, without warning supposedly, as an English game in South Korea. Ditto for Project Spark. The Evil Within and Metal Gear Solid V: TPP, on the other hand, are in English for the Xbox One in South Korea, while The Evil Within got Korean subtitles on the PS4 and MGSV:TPP is expected to be localized for the console as well. The latest one to dishearten Korean Xbox One owners is Arkham Knight, which was released as a retail and digital game in Korean on the PS4, but only as a digital title on Xbox One in, you guessed it, English.
Obviously, he went a little too far while trying to bring up the issue (especially considering the cost of the console), but he brings up a good point. It's absurd for a company to release a game in a country without accommodating the official language. So, what are your thoughts on this? Did he go too far or do you think it was the only way he could send a message to Microsoft?

I thought the Xbox one did poorly in Asian countries? Most likely why they don't get the good games.

Back