Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Today Kotaku editor-in-chief Jen Glennon announced her resignation on X, saying: “Some personal news! I’ve resigned from Kotaku and Jim Spanfeller is an herb.”

The latter comment is a reference to a long-running insult aimed at G/O Media CEO Jim Spanfeller, as detailed in a Slate article from 2019.

More information on Glennon’s departure was reported by Aftermath, which itself consists mostly of former Kotaku staff.

“After careful consideration, I have concluded that the current management structure and decision-making processes at G/O Media are not aligned with my values and goals for Kotaku,” Glennon’s letter reads.

“I firmly believe that the decision to ‘invert’ Kotaku’s editorial strategy to deprioritise news in favor of guides is fundamentally misguided given the current infrastructure of the site.

“[This decision is] directly contradicted by months of traffic data, and shows an astonishing disregard for the livelihoods of the remaining writers and editors who work here.”

Aftermath also reports that Kotaku’s remaining staff is now expected to write 50 guides a week for the site, and that its front page section previously dedicated to breaking and major news stories is now dedicated to tips and guides.

Source

Dang. Rip Kotaku

Not surprised considering all the drama that's been going on @ Twitter

Kotaku switching to only posting gaming guides is unexpected. Hopefully, the guides will be useful and fun for gamers to read.

Translation: Her bosses were tired of the writers doing hit pieces on gamers, because that's ALL Kotaku did.

Perfectly balanced as all things should be. I think this is a fair move even if I have never seen the site directly, I would prefer guides rather than division created by the clout and popularity of content creators and entertainers to a certain degree. If they did make a big deal out of content creators, you would have to weed out the thought pieces and work on the productivity.

Back