Latest Microsoft updates erase Word customizations, can break Edge, Outlook, File Explorer

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Update 12/24/15 9:06am: An investigation by Ed Bott casts doubt on KB3xxxx being the problem, and points instead to an Office update that affected Office 2010, 2013, and 2016; the Windows 10 update still affects Edge, Outlook, and File Explorer. We stand by what we said about the model Microsoft is using. The original article continues below.

Microsoft’s latest Windows 10 cumulative update, KB 3124200, dropped last week, but clearly needed more time to bake. While initial reports suggested that the update would fix some issues with WiFi connections dropping out, the latest cumulative update is causing some significant problems.

Reports indicate that in at least some cases, KB 3124200 nukes all Microsoft Word customizations, including custom templates, AutoText, macros, envelope addresses, autocorrect, and AutoFormat settings. It also reverts any custom spell check options you may have stored. The problem is serious enough that Microsoft has published its own KB on fixing the issue, KB 3129969.

Read More

It is disappointing that MS release a broken update. It would be a good idea to hire more people to test out software before releasing it.

Breaking MS Word customization, and File Explorer is the worse since a lot of people use MS Word, and File Explorer for schoolwork, homework, and browsing their computer drives.

and MS wants to make updates mandatory? HA, they are digging their grave.

and MS wants to make updates mandatory? HA, they are digging their grave.

I agree making Windows 10 a mandatory update, or a hard to disable update will make many people disappointed in Windows 10.

I bet, Some Windows 7 and 8.1 user may even go back to Windows XP or try Linux for a few months or forever until the free OS upgrade promotion for Windows 10 for Windows 7 and 8.1 users end in a few more months.

Turning off Automatic updates is a good idea for people who don't want to have their computer automatically download, and install Windows 10.

I think making a clone/image file of a user's windows 7 hard drive is also a good idea just in case Windows 10 gets automatically installed on Windows 7 or 8.1 PC.

Back