LG or Asus smartphone

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
If you had to choose between an LG and an Asus smartphone, both of them having similar specs and being in the same price range, which one would you choose? For example, if you had to choose between the latest high-end Asus cellphone and the latest high-end LG smartphone.

Last edited:
I probably pick a LG smartphone because LG has some cool looking smartphones with nice features.

Last edited:
For me it comes down to 3 main factors...

1- Can it be rooted?
I don't want a phone with a locked bootloader, being forced to accept whatever bloatware and spyware that they think I need. I want complete control over my device that I paid for.

2- Does it allow microSD expansion?
If no then it's a pass. I want the option to have more storage. I put music and videos and pictures on my phone to amuse myself when I have time. I don't want to use up most of my phone's space (which I want for apps) by doing that. Plus if something goes wrong with my phone then I can pop the SD card out and have all my media stuff backed up. (Any photos I've taken, videos I've taken, etc... the stuff that I might not be able to easily replace.)

3- Is the battery removable?
Many phones don't go the removable option. But not being able to remove the battery sucks in cases where the battery dies due to frequent charging (through heavy use) or just because of a dud battery.

Though between the two I'd lean towards Asus over LG any day. I've seen too many LG products that were junk to even consider trusting them very much. (From appliances parents owned, appliances relatives owned, siblings phones, etc...) But even then if LG had the unlocked boot loader, microSD option and removable battery but Asus didn't... I'd consider going with LG. But if it's not a complete sweep for LG then pass.

3- Is the battery removable?
Many phones don't go the removable option.
Really? Other than the iPhones and the older models of Nokia Windows Phones, I've yet to come across Android smartphones that didn't have a removable battery...

Really? Other than the iPhones and the older models of Nokia Windows Phones, I've yet to come across Android smartphones that didn't have a removable battery...

Google Nexus smartphones, Google Pixel phone, Samsung Galaxy S7 and Note 7, and HTC One M9 do not have removable batteries.

Unfortunately it's been an increasingly common trend to make batteries not removable. (Well, at least not without some serious work and voiding a warrantee. ) My guess the reasoning is so:
- they don't have to make a compartment that opens, nor sell extra batteries. (Which kind of builds in an expiration date... since when the battery dies due to constant use and recharging... it's time to buy a new phone. Also like how apple plans obsolescence by constant firmware updates that tax older hardware.)
- can make IP57 certification claims (saying that phones can be submerged in water/dust without issue). Though I'm not entirely convinced that having a battery compartment would make it impossible to have IP57 certification...

Thankfully many companies now have gone back on the whole no microSD slot thing. But it'd be nice if they'd do that for the whole no battery access too.

I would most likely try ASUS since I have a lot of their stuff, otherwise I would maybe stick to samsung.

I think some Asus Zenphones like the Zenphone C and 2 are a bad choices for most smartphone users because it uses an Intel Atom CPU which may limit the number of apps it can run because most apps are designed to work best on Mobile chips made by Samsung, Qualcomm, Apple, LG, Nvidia, and MediaTek which are based on ARM rather than x86 which is mostly designed for PC and servers. There are some Android apps which may not work on Intel Chips at all. The Intel Atom CPU is also a low performance CPU used on cheap lowend netbook laptops, and low-end Android and Windows tablets. The Intel Atom uses more battery life than a mobile ARM CPU made by a company like Qualcomm and Samsung which designed chips for smartphones and tablets with smaller batteries compared to regular laptops.

In all Performance, and battery test for Samsung vs Qualcomm vs Intel mobile chips at Android Authority, the Intel Atom in the Asus Zenphone 2 performed the worse compared to mobile CPU made by Samsung, and Qualcomm.

There are a few Asus Zenphones with Qualcomm, and Mediatek which are based on mobile/ARM. I think it is better to pick Zenphones which uses a Qualcomm or MediaTek CPU instead of Intel.

There are a few Asus Zenphones with Qualcomm, and Mediatek which are based on mobile/ARM. I think it is better to pick Zenphones which uses a Qualcomm or MediaTek CPU instead of Intel.
So, basically, just get the one that's more expensive...

So, basically, just get the one that's more expensive...

Picking the most expensive phone will not always gaurantee that you get a non-Intel CPU because there are Asus Zenfones which use a even cheaper Qualcomm CPUs, and MediaTek CPUs which are based on ARM, but cost less than Intel Atom CPUs, or cost about the same cost. MediaTek CPUs are usually installed on cheaper smartphones and tablets, and the performance is not good because of the lower cost, performance and quality of the CPU compared to a faster CPU like the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820.

It is best to pick a mobile CPU which is made by Qualcomm, or another good mobile CPU brand like Samsung which is based on mobile ARM.

There are also blog post at The Verge which claim Intel is no longer interested in making mobile CPUs for tablets and smartphones. Apps which get published in the future may longer work, or may not work well on Intel Atom mobile CPUs because there will be fewer people using mobile Intel Atom CPUs in the future, so Apps may run better and still be supported on cheaper ARM CPUs made by MediaTek, Qualcomm, and other companies which make ARM CPUs in the future.

Back